Defective (hazardous) portable EVSE

Discussion in 'General' started by bwilson4web, May 24, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

With a home made NEMA 14-50 to NEMA 5-15 adapter, I was able to test the unit at 120 VAC and it is a disaster:
    [​IMG]
    Tested with my Tesla Model 3, I could control the amps only to find the EVSE is unsafe to unsophisticated EV owners (aka., ex-wife.):
    • Initially tried to draw 31 A, the Tesla default
    • Stepped Tesla amps to generate the above chart
    • Typically 80% of the circuit breaker is the maxiumum safe load
      • 12 A - NEMA 5-15
      • 15 A - NEMA 5-20
      • Lower currents are OK and sometimes needed if other loads on the circuit
    I've already submitted a 'return' request and will be shipping it back. But I am quite disappointed by this unsafe performance.

Bob Wilson

papab likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. papab

papab Member

What unit is this?

4. Minor correction... 16A on a 20A circuit, but regardless, the adjustable EVSE should never draw above the selected current.
    Good thing you tested the unit, also curious if the manufacture has applied accredited safety standards label.

5. bwilson4web

Defective EVSE: https://www.ebay.com/itm/385459867923

Knowing I can limit my Tesla charging current, I could use it but I would not be happy. Giving it to my non-technical, ex-wife is not in the cards.

Bob Wilson

6. bwilson4web

BTW, just bought a used:
    "WORKERSBEE Level 2 EV Charger, 110V-240V 32Amp, NEMA 14-50 Plug" This one has a manual, current set switch. After I test it, I'll gift it to my ex-wife for her BMW i3-REx.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: May 28, 2023
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

s-l400.jpg
    The unit is not defective. It has a 50A cord and plug on it. Defective would be if it tried drawing over 40A from a 14-50.

An adaptor made with a 14-50 socket and a 5-15 plug is not legal, safe nor sensible.

No EVSE knows what the wiring is the other side of its power plug. It should be plugged into a suitable circuit, or bad things can happen. Would you put a 5-15 on a stove?

The correct way to hook this up to 110 would be by removing the 14-50 and fitting a 5-50. Then you could plug it in to a suitable 40/50A circuit.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
    papab likes this.