Eibach springs

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by JonR, Oct 26, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CoachCookie

CoachCookie Active Member

Awesome review @JonR ! As stated, hoping to get my H&R springs on soon and I'll try to provide some insight similar to yours with the Eibach.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

I wanted to mention how to remove the front struts.

Cravenspeed has really good instructions but I suggest some changes.
    https://www.cravenspeed.com/mini-f56-performance-springs/

After step 3, spread the knuckle so that the bottom of the strut comes out. There is a special tool for this but you can also use a big flat head screwdriver.

Switch steps 4 and 5. Keep the top bolts attached when you push down on the hub. Also, turn the wheel slightly inward. So on the left side, turn the wheel so that the wheels are pointing right. On the right side, turn the wheel so it is pointing left. With these two tricks and a hard push with your foot, the strut will come out of the knuckle.

CoachCookie likes this.
  4. CoachCookie

Appreciate the insight and tips. No big surprises just from poking around and gauging what would be needed. Have done the screwdriver spreader method many times. Already had it sitting out and ready to use haha!

5. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

6. CoachCookie

Just wanted to hop on here and say I appreciate your tip regarding keeping the strut attached at the top and turning the wheel inward. Much easier to push down with foot and get the strut out of the knuckle.

H&R springs are on! Have only driven a few miles but initial impressions based on handling, road imperfections, and looks are very good! I'll create a separate thread after a bit more drive time...

JonR and Tetrodotoxin like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. jakesmini

jakesmini Member

So, spring compressors are not required, or would it be wise to have them available when installing springs?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

It is safer with a spring compressor when you take the top hat off the front struts. There isn't a ton of preload but you do need to watch out for the strut when you remove the top nut.

jakesmini likes this.
  10. CoachCookie

To do it in the safest way possible, you'll want a spring compressor. If you've removed/installed strut springs before and are familiar enough, you definitely don't need one. I installed my springs without a compressor and actually thought the preload on the stock springs was not very much compared to others I have done.

jakesmini likes this.
  11. jakesmini

jakesmini Member

Appreciate the feedback. H&Rs are sitting here, but might go coils. Trying to decide.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SJA

SJA Member

Debating between Eibach and H&R. I like the idea of the AC Schnitzer springs also but for the price seems to much if they are just rebranded Eibach springs. They don’t really share any spring rate details.

I just don’t want the car to be bouncier than stock. The rear is relatively rough on some parts of my freeway commute. I don’t mind it but don’t want it to be worse.

14. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I hit a small hummock today that got my rear wheels off the ground, something I haven’t experienced since swapping the original springs and dampers out of my fortwo for Bilstein B14s (Bilstein dampers with matched Eibach progressive springs) nine years ago. Based on that one little inconsequential tidbit alone, I’d recommend going whole-hog with a German TÜV-approved set.

15. jakesmini

jakesmini Member

How hard do you have to push down on the brake to loosen the strut? I used a screwdriver to loosen the knuckle and it still isn’t budging.

16. jakesmini

jakesmini Member

Never mind…just needed the right tool….35lb rubber dumbbell worked perfectly

17. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

I'm glad you got it figured out. I found the easiest way is to leave the top of the strut attached in the engine bay and then just stand on the knuckle. It popped right out when I did that.

18. jakesmini

jakesmini Member

Definitely leaving the strut attached was a huge help!

I was standing on it, but didn’t want to “jump” up and down and possibly screw up something.

Excited to wrap it up tonight when the top hat socket arrives

19. bfl

bfl Member

20. jakesmini

jakesmini Member

How does that work? And seriously stuck right because of that

21. bfl

bfl Member

The tip is sort of an oval shape. You insert it in the slit in the strut collar, and then as you turn it, it spreads the strut collar, making it much easier to insert the strut.

A large flathead screwdriver would probably accomplish the same thing, but the tool makes it a lot easier.

22. jakesmini

jakesmini Member

Figured it out!! Appreciate All the help!!

bfl likes this.
  23. jakesmini

jakesmini Member

[​IMG]

Crappy photo, but…..