Factory Bike Rack

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Stillk, May 3, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I ordered my SE with the factory rails and have purchased the base rack system. Has anyone purchased the Mini bike rack and what has your experience been. I know there are several after market systems -Yakima being one of them.

My 2002 Mini had a bike rack that involved taking the bumper cover off and installing a rack that had attachments through the cover - very similar to the bike rack on my Countryman. To bad they don't offer a similar rack. Much easier then hefting a heavy bike onto the roof of the car

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. DJCoopster

DJCoopster Well-Known Member

There are hitches that can be installed on the SE. I did mine.

upload_2023-5-3_16-20-29.png

upload_2023-5-3_16-21-31.png

jakesmini likes this.
  4. jakesmini

jakesmini Member

Can you send the link for the trailer hitch you purchased?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. DJCoopster

PXL_20220919_002543528.NIGHT.jpg
    https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer_Hitch/EcoHitch/306-X7290.html

However, a big however, it's not a straight forward install.

Bumper cover and taillights have to be removed. I had to cut off some internal plastic (nothing structural) and had to elongate 2 mounting holes on the hitch because they weren't punched properly. The rear belly pan has to be cut. I have all the tools and skill needed for it, not everyone will.

It was the most involved hitch install I've done out of the ~10 I've done in my life. It's definitely a solid install for a bike rack/small trailer but I'll only use it for my One-Up rack.

Last edited: May 5, 2023
    jakesmini likes this.
  6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

photo invisible to me

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. DJCoopster

Changed the image to upload

insightman likes this.
  9. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

After I bought this one I found out that there’s a model for $100 cheaper that doesn’t require cutting plastic, it’s for Minis without spare tires, it’s in a previous trailer hitch thread. Let me see if I can find it

jakesmini likes this.
  10. DJCoopster

I think I remember seeing that mentioned after I had already bought mine.

I'm one of the quality hold '22 group and had my hitch for months waiting for the car.

11. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

@DJCoopster I keep on seeing your location and catching myself correcting you. LOL It is only two syllables. Lul-vul. :)

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. DJCoopster

upload_2023-5-5_15-13-16.png

14. Darrell Hayes

Darrell Hayes Member

Curt C11417 requires less cutting, but does require that the bumper come off, which is a bit time consuming. Small cut to the plastic under body panel. upload_2023-5-5_13-30-45.png upload_2023-5-5_13-28-2.png

ghost and DJCoopster like this.
  15. DJCoopster

Best bike rack there is, we have good taste.

16. DJCoopster

That's the one. You can see the Curt crossbar is much lower than the Ecohitch I installed, so you don't have to cut plastic that is behind the aluminum crash bar or at least as much.
    curt.jpg
    Ecohitch.png

17. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Oooh, you worked hard to install your hitch (thanks for uploading the photo). Your photo reminds me of what I saw when getting my hood scoop deleted a week after delivery, but without your skills to do it myself.

upload_2023-5-5_22-22-21.png

18. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

19. inferno10

inferno10 Member

I don't have the OEM Mini bike rack, but I can comment on one of the aftermarket systems. I got the Thule FastRide, which secures the fork of the bike to the rack. I’d recommend this style, as it’s very easy to lift the bike onto the rack and secure in place (get the rear wheel on the rack first, then lower the fork into the skewer. The rack comes with hardware to attach to the crossbars via the T-slot or by clamping onto the bars. The Fastride comes with a built-in security cable you can wrap around the rear wheel and bike frame, though it doesn't come with lock cores out of the box (I'd recommend buying a single-key pair, as you can also use one core to lock the rack to the crossbar)

If you do look at aftermarket options, do look carefully at the rack length, as some other products that I initially considered (ex: Kuat Trio) might be too long and bump into the hatch if opened; the FastRide was barely short enough to allow the boot to fully open (Yakima’s HighSpeed rack also should clear the hatch)
    IMG_7293.jpeg

20. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

I just ordered the VIP Custom Parts bike rack. The best pictures are on eBay here but the best price is on their website.

I'll post pictures after I get it installed.

21. I recently installed the factory roof bike rack - once you hoist the bike and secure the wheel it works fine and the bike travels with no issue. The real problem is lifting the bike to the roof - the front wheel needs to be secured so it doesn't flop around while you are lifting the bike to the rack. The other issue is the weight of the bike - I have one bike that is relatively light and can easily be lifted on to the roof. But I also have a fat tire bike and an e-bike that won't fit and are beyond what I can lift - so I need an alternative.

I do not have the skill set to modify my car for several of the racks shown. I look forward to see the VIP rack installed.

22. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I've upgraded to a 70-pound (minus batteries) e-bike monster with 4" wide tires. I love the bike, but no way could I ever dream of mounting it on the roof with my SeaSucker Talon mount. The bike does fold, but I haven't tried fitting it into the back of my SE yet. I should do that.

(For the curious it's a Lectric eBikes XPremium.)

23. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

Nice bike. I’m very envious. I have been completely mesmerized by the JackRabbit. But, I have not given in as yet.

IMG_1854.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Last edited: Jul 14, 2023
    SameGuy likes this.