Replace Rear Brake Pads Message Displayed

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Glenn Marcucio, Apr 26, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. On my 2022 Cooper SE Electric I have a message displaying. "Brake System"
    "Drive Moderately, replace rear brake pads, Consult service center"
    Also the Brake warning light is illuminated. The brakes feel fine. The car has 8,152 miles on it. I checked brake fluid and it is good. I checked all four wheel brake pad linings and they are like new. The rear inboard brake pad linings have 12 thousands of an inch lining remaining, and the outboard linings have 13 thousands remaining. So, pads are like new. I visually checked the brake pad sensors and wiring and looks good. Did not do any diagnostic checks of the sensor system. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a way to clear the message? It's probably under warranty, however before I bring it to the dealer I wanted to do some research on it first. Possibly learn from people here that already encountered this problem and what the outcome was.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. This post is edited to read Tenths of and inch instead of thousands of an inch that I had in my original post.

4. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I’m driving a cars for over 50 years and EV BMW I 3 for 6 years and SE Mini for 16 month and always if I have a chance I wash hardly all 4 wheels /brakes calipers with heavy spray of water and I never have any issues with calipers pistons or stacks brake pads as I read recently bc of REGEN braking on EV,s cars is recommended to clean wash brakes as often as possible to prevent them to be stuck!,,once I rotates my wheels every 5000 miles I wash a calipers very well but between I wash them through a holes in a rims.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
  5. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

The wear sensors are a loop of wire. A break, either because one is worn through or some wiring is bad, will trigger the fault indication.
    If it is still under warranty, I'd imagine the dealer will fix it, after checking that they are indeed unworn.
    I've heard of the odd issue with them.