Energy Saving Tires

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Aaron, Jan 19, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

Update on my second choice, the new Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. The below video shows that it is superior to all other ultra high performance A/S tires in the snow and it outperforms the Crossclimate (both + and 2) in the dry and wet (Tire Rack tests). It's also less expensive than the CC+. Because they are stickier tires, you'll pay a penalty for range though. If you only get occasional snow, these would be a great tire for the Clarity. On the other hand, given what Texas just went through, maybe the CC+ would be the best choice outside of FL.

Louis Nisenbaum likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

Another update: CrossClimate2 is now available in Clarity's size. It's a bit less expensive than the CC+.

4. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

I finally went with the CrossClimate 2's. I got them at Costco which had a discount of 150.00 for a total of roughly 700 out the door. So far so good........

sabasc likes this.
  5. JAlex

JAlex New Member

I had the Goodyear Touring on my Taycan and changed them for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4. There is a lightly change on efficiency, I commonly gotten 0.26kWh/mile on the highway, now it is around 0.29 to 0.30, but the grip and handling improved significantly. Mine is RWD and in launch control the Goodyear tires constantly lost grip, where the Pilot Sport 4 are up to the job. These are summer tires, I am in Florida that is not an issue. I have been following the new Michelin Pilot Sport EV that should come out this year.

6. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Does anybody have any feedback on Goodyear Eagle Touring tires? They look like a reasonably priced tire. I would rather not spend $200 per tire. Thanks!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ducan07

ducan07 New Member

I suggest two well-known companies to you for summer travel. That's Michelin Primacy 4 vs. Bridgestone Turanza. Both tires are made to deliver outstanding handling in dry and wet conditions. In addition, both tires are made to provide a quiet ride. Compared to Turanza T005, Michelin Primacy 4 can also reduce exterior noise, but it could be more effective within the vehicle.

9. ducan07

ducan07 New Member

The Michelin Primacy 4 has a much better damp handling rating than the Turanza T005 at 89% vs. 77%, respectively, and a better cornering rating at 85% vs. 83%, respectively.

10. Clarity_Newbie

Clarity_Newbie Active Member

I put Michelin Cross Climate 2 on the Clarity 14 months ago.

Where I live there is enough snow/slick wet roads in the winter to justify a quality all weather tire but not dedicated snows. My area is also bad for "unexpected" snow and ice.

10 thousand miles in...the CC2 have performed admirably. Noise is subjective but I find the CC2 road noise to be no worse than the originals. I did take a 8% hit to miles per charge/mpg.. Even with 40k on the car carrying 4 all weather tires...it still gets predominately 46 miles per charge summer time miles. Prior to the change over, I was getting 52 miles per charge summer time miles.

Bottom line...I have confidence driving the Clarity in more adverse weather conditions then I did on the OEM's...plus prepared for the "unexpected".

Hope this helps.

Johnhaydev likes this.
  11. Stan-O

Stan-O Member

Would appreciate some advice/experiences from other people in PNW.

Already have a set of rims/winter tires, so I'm looking to replace OEM tires with the summer or at least not necessarily snow-rated tires which should be good in rain. We may get a lot of rain when it's still warm out, so whatever I pick has to be great on wet roads. Also I'd like not to lose a lot of range compared to OEM LRR tires.

Based on this and another forums here's the list of contenders (in addition to Michelin Energy Saver):
    Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season
    Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack
    Yokohama YK740

Anyone in PNW (or other rainy regions) can comment on the above/share their experiences?

Thanks!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Stan-O

Stan-O Member

Ok, so a friend of mine has been praising ChatGPT so I took a chance on it:

What is a good summer tire with low rolling resistance for 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV?

There are several options for summer tires with low rolling resistance that are suitable for the 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV. Here are some recommendations:

Michelin Energy Saver A/S - This tire offers low rolling resistance and excellent fuel efficiency. It is also designed to provide a comfortable and quiet ride.

Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus - This tire is engineered to deliver low rolling resistance and long-lasting tread life. It also offers good handling and braking performance on both wet and dry roads.

Continental TrueContact Tour - This tire is designed to provide low rolling resistance, good fuel efficiency, and long tread life. It also offers excellent wet and dry traction, as well as a comfortable ride.

Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max - This tire is designed to deliver low rolling resistance and maximize fuel efficiency. It also offers good handling and braking performance on both wet and dry roads.

Before purchasing any tire, it is important to ensure that it is the correct size for your vehicle and meets your specific driving needs. Additionally, it's important to keep in mind that tire selection may vary depending on the climate and driving conditions in your area.​

Which tire is best out of these four?

All four tires that I recommended are good options with low rolling resistance for your 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV. Ultimately, the best tire for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences.

If you prioritize fuel efficiency and comfort, the Michelin Energy Saver A/S may be the best choice. If you prioritize long tread life and good handling in wet and dry conditions, the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus may be the best choice. The Continental TrueContact Tour is a good all-around option with low rolling resistance, good fuel efficiency, and excellent wet and dry traction. The Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max is a great choice if fuel efficiency is your top priority.

You should consider your specific driving needs and preferences, as well as your budget, when choosing between these four tires.

14. Stan-O

Stan-O Member

Also found this video, saying the LRR and good wet handling are mutually exclusive:

15. jray19

jray19 Member

I purchased Cross Climate 2 tires to replace OEM at just over 43,000 miles. I estimate that they cost me about 10% EV range. I live in Northern Illinois and in the wet and winter weather these do great it is one of the few winter rated touring tires out there. Even when new I found the OEM tire lacking wet and winter traction so the sacrifice in range to move to the Cross Climate seemed worth it for those reasons.

Johnhaydev likes this.
  16. Stan-O

Stan-O Member

You definitely have more snow in Illinois than we do here in PNW. Are you using CC2 as year-round tires?

17. jray19

jray19 Member

Yes we do use them year-round. They are called a standard touring all season tire. The tread looks aggressive but they ride quiet and do really well in wet weather too.

18. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Active Member

Anyone have the Bridgestone Weatherpeak tires? It seems to be comparable to CC2 for rain/snow and it is slightly cheaper, has longer treadwear rating, might be more efficient and have A traction.

19. If southern Oregon counts, we’re in the PNW. We’ve driven in plenty of heavy rain and wet road conditions in N Cal, all of Oregon and Vancouver, WA, all on the OEM Michelin tires. There has never been a sensation of hydroplaning, unexpected increase in stopping distances or loss of control on curves.

Most likely, there are other tires available that offer superior handling characteristics under certain conditions. It could just be that our driving habits are such that any real or perceived improvement in ride quality or handling characteristics from a different set of tires would be of little to no benefit compared to the actual decline in EV range and overall fuel economy. We simply haven’t been in a situation where the OEM tires have scared the s#it out of us, or otherwise performed in any manner other than what would be expected.

It may be worth considering a change in driving habits, rather than a change of tires.