InsideEVs Podcast episodes

Discussion in 'General' started by Domenick, Apr 25, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

This is what I'm seeing:
    upload_2023-4-11_9-23-45.png
    I'm patient.

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

I understand the EPA is re-working the MPGe calculation which might explain the USA delay:

Bob Wilson

4. danrjones

danrjones Active Member

I'm going to agree to disagree on that. The charging experience where I am in the US has been and continues to be a mess for CCS. And as great as the EPA news is, I don't see how it will happen given the lousy CCS infrastructure. We have ONE new station coming to the eastern Sierra - one EA station planned in Lone Pine. Coming Fall 2024. If we are only getting *one* new CCS station in the next two years, we will never manage to keep up with the influx of EVs. Heck, stations are breaking faster than they are being built around me.

This is exactly what weighs into Kyle's value calculation. Look at all the trouble Kyle has with EA chargers on even MAIN Interstate routes. Down, derated, down, plug in again, and again, payment not accepted, etc. etc.

5. To remove this ad click here.

6. Don't forget that you will also be able to charge at Tesla Superchargers, many already.

7. danrjones

danrjones Active Member

If you call 2 in California and a few in NY "many"?
    Yes, hopefully I / we will. But not yet, not today, and nobody really knows where or what Tesla will end up doing. I'm certainly more hopeful about future tesla V4 stations than new EA.

Speaking of which, the EA station north of me was again DOWN over the weekend. No redundancy. If anyone arrived there and didn't have enough charge to turn around, they were hosed.

8. Suns_PSD

Suns_PSD New Member

I enjoy the Podcasts.

Find them relevant, not overly biased towards Tesla's or EV's in particular, I learn a lot & they are interesting to boot!

Thx!

bwilson4web and Domenick like this.
  9. bwilson4web

Genuine, not faint praise, I noticed that earlier versions had an 'instead of Tesla' attitude. But more recently, there has been more of an 'along with Tesla' tone. The bitterness of bad experiences has left Tesla as the boring but reliable choice.

EV driving should be affordable, reliable transportation. Then we add having fun.

Bob Wilson

Suns_PSD likes this.
  10. To remove this ad click here.

11. danrjones

danrjones Active Member

Another good podcast last week - I'm still wondering why VW wouldn't bring the larger battery ID7 to the US? I thought maybe it was because of a tax credit for the smaller battery being US-made, but you mentioned both would be produced overseas? That seems an odd choice.

I also heard the chevy bolt is now scheduled for end of life this year. I guess the Equinox will fill that role?

Domenick and ericy like this.
  12. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I saw that - so much for affordable EVs.

I think that ID.7 was intended to be a flagship model - never produced in high volumes, and it will ship from Germany and not be made in Chattanooga.

13. Yeah, I (and, I think, my co-hosts) don't understand why the larger battery is not coming to the U.S. As I understand it, the ID. Buzz will get the long wheelbase and big battery here, so it seems like they understand the market with that product.
    For now, I think the Equinox EV will fill that role. I'd really like to see an Ultium-based Bolt EV starting at $23,000ish and sized between Bolt EV and Spark EV), but there's no indication GM is going to contest the entry-level segment with electric product. At least, not yet.

14. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Too much time spent talking about cannonball.

Domenick likes this.
  15. Thanks, and noted. Going to try a little less video "recapping" of videos going forward and try to use our experiences to talk about product/issues involved in them.

16. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Everytime someone says "Testival", I think "testicle". Perhaps that's why they changed the name..

I would like to see some discussion about what the failure modes are for CCS chargers. Some of them (payment terminal failures) might be beyond the scope of what these engineers work on, but surely they have some insights about what the problem areas are.

Domenick and insightman like this.
  17. DC fast charging is an important part of the electric vehicle story, especially now as it really to reach ubiquity and much greater reliability. So, I'm sure we'll continue to talk about all the various aspects.