What did you do to your MINI today?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by SameGuy, Oct 4, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

My brother's 40-hp 1958 VW Bus was the slowest accelerating vehicle I've ever experienced. You must have had some other reason for liking that Westy. Besides being the first vehicle you drove, did you experience another kind of first in that bus?

Qisl and SameGuy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

Logic tracks. Kick down doesn't make sense for us, here is a side by side of the original (left) and the incorrect automatic with kick down (right.) The plugs are incompatible so there is no way to mess it up. All of the fitment checks on various vendors websites don't know how to handle SE, luckily some have simple return policies and I was able to experiment a bit.
    IMG_1245.jpeg

4. ghost

ghost Active Member

I had the 1700 cc w/ the freeway flyer gear in it. Drove on the freeway at 70 no problem.

The vanagon was my first vehicle.

insightman likes this.
  5. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    The dead pedal and brake are inlays, but for the accelerator you need the whole module? Ouch.

6. SameGuy

YUL
    Welp, doing something to the SE, but I’m only part way through the little project, so this is what I did to it today.

I disconnected the 12V battery in order to remove the horn/airbag from the steering wheel. I have not been able to find anybody having done this to an SE online, so I went ahead and did it as per the usual ICE instructions. MINI make it a bit fiddly to get at the battery’s negative terminal, but it’s still fairly quick work. One thing I realized from only one of the mini videos I checked out was that it’s much easier to remove the rubber seal first, followed by the cover piece closer to the cowl, and finally the cover over the battery; too many of the videos showed how to remove the cover over the battery and then futzing with the part over the cowl — and barely getting enough room to remove the ground cable.

With the low-voltage battery disconnected, I opened the driver’s door, and lo and behold, everything lit up like normal! I was not excited by this. I decided to take a break and went inside for lunch. Back into the garage half an hour later, and it was still lit up. Grrr. I continued to do some other stuff in the garage, and wouldn’t you know it, it all shut down at around the 45 minute mark. Excellent.

In another post I will detail the airbag removal, but that’s a story in itself. Meanwhile, when I eventually reconnected the 12 V battery, the system reinitialized and updated the time and date, and the GOM jumped from the typical 162 km it has been showing on a full charge lately… to 192 km. I’ve never seen it predict more than 180. Weird.

GvilleGuy and carrrl like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

You couldn't have posted this at a better time. About the do some spelunking behind the head unit and ~45 minutes is highly unexpected. Thanks for the heads up.

GvilleGuy and SameGuy like this.
  9. SameGuy

YUL
    YMMV lol

10. SameGuy

YUL
    What a PITA to get the airbag off. Smh. Of course, after spending 45 minutes using a T20 driver (and cursing, and wearing out my fingertips) trying to remove the horn/airbag as advised on multiple sites and YouTube channels (sorry, @tweedbean and others!), I finally managed to prise it off.

70361947118__94D77AF8-A7F3-414B-A9C6-36DC4C0676A9.jpeg IMG_0699.jpeg

Then I opened the HOD emulator box and inside found every tool I could possibly need — including a 2.6 mm pig-nose security screw driver, which is perfect for grabbing onto the MINI’s wire spring to manoeuvre it away from the hooks on the steering wheel (it came to good use the multiple times I had to remove the airbag to reposition the emulator and its sheathed wires!).

70362018660__82FCCE3B-06E4-4620-9727-321843D841DF.jpeg 70362020285__33482542-CEE1-46FE-9931-58DDDE68C705.jpeg IMG_0706.jpeg

Next step: figuring out what FDL changes needed for it to work with the SE. Stay tuned!

11. Alf_W

Alf_W Active Member

Maybe I missed this...but *why* are you removing the airbag and horn?

Qisl and GvilleGuy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SameGuy

YUL
    I’ll get to that part, but the secret is in the box pictured above. ;) It’s a hands-on-drivingdetection emulator as has been installed on F-series Bimmers and the i3 for a few years. When the coding gets figured out for the SE, it will enable 5AR Traffic Jam Assist as available on BMWs. Basically a very rudimentary driving assistant to help stay between the lane markers and away from the car ahead. Doing it for gits and shiggles more than any useful purpose. Lol

Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
    Alf_W likes this.
  14. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

In Europe it is auto start/stop follow + automatic lane centering...also known as poor man's autopilot (needs a vehicle to follow).

To enable this feature North America you need to emulate the hands off detection (have to touch steering wheel every 10 sec) and use the VO & FDL coding (aka E-Sys) to enable 5AR Traffic Jam Assist. The emulator needs to intercept the volume +/- module but you have to remove the airbag to access the wiring.

Alf_W likes this.
  15. Alf_W

Alf_W Active Member

That's an awesome mad scientist project. Keep us posted on progress!

SameGuy likes this.
  16. SameGuy

YUL
    “…very rudimentary…” lol

17. SameGuy

YUL
    Thanks! For the life of me I couldn’t remember what the “d” was for, though I knew it as recently as three days ago! Second thing to go, I guess…

18. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

Exciting things happening with our SEs. First TJA, now bird eye view?! Idea works, integrated into stock screen, buttons, iDrive controller, parking sensors, etc. Now just a weekend or two of actual install.
    IMG_1391.jpeg

Alf_W, MichaelC, Matt007b and 2 others like this.
  19. SameGuy

YUL
    Whaaaat?

20. woa nellie that's awesome!

SameGuy likes this.
  21. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

Window tint guy is coming to install the IR tints. Bonus We have BMW royalty in for service and A/C compressor replacement. It has a charge port light! 17A76AE7-528C-4237-9531-421235E375BE.jpeg 94E41CCC-73B2-4D91-BAFF-F54396968D97.jpeg 677F7E1F-1D78-416C-B364-1C01CA76E7D4.jpeg

MichaelC likes this.
  22. SameGuy

YUL
    :cool: It really does make a major difference if you don’t get to park under the tree. When I was walking out to my car in the middle of an asphalt parking lot last summer, I would start pre-cooling when I was three or four minutes away, and by the time I got to the car it was comfortable. Under full sun, I can still feel some heat, but then I open the window and start cooking and realize how effective it is.

23. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

what % did you go with ?