Phone Charger overheating

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by jakesmini, Apr 13, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. jakesmini

jakesmini Member

Any of you have issues with the armrest phone charger overheating your phones?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

Yes. And if you're using wireless Apple CarPlay, your phone will cook even faster.

This has been discussed in here before, and it's common to all other MINIs with the wireless charger built into the armrest. It's...not a great solution.

4. jakesmini

jakesmini Member

Appreciate the response. Apologize for not searching first

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

MichaelC likes this.
  5. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I don’t think it’s been mentioned in some time, all good.

FWIW, I have a 3D-printed charger shelf extender (the springy slidy part that allows the insertion of larger phones) available. Anybody who wants it can make me an offer.

[I like the Spigen case on my iPhone 12 Pro Max, so it really doesn’t fit width-wise (the side buttons get depressed)]

jakesmini likes this.
  6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I found my iPhone Pro 12 charges pretty well without overheating, although it does get somewhat warm. I did have a thermal warning on my iPhone once when I was using CarPlay route navigation and simultaneously on a Microsoft Teams call (also via CarPlay). I wonder if the type of case could be a factor. The case I have is a wooden back with rubber edging, so it may not retain heat like other cases may.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

All wireless chargers do this even the Tesla rental I had in Germany would cook your phone

polyphonic and SameGuy like this.
  9. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Basically a mini induction stove hehe

carrrl likes this.
  10. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Plus CarPlay taxes the phone when wired. It’s just the nature of the tech. I dislike wireless charging.