+1 for wheel bearing failure

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Tydoc, Apr 12, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tydoc

Tydoc New Member

Posting mainly as reference for other drivers. About 1 week ago I had been driving over passes in HV mode and thought the engine sounded really loud. However after charging, driving around town in electric was still hearing it. Speed dependent but fairly prominent even at low speeds, sounding like a cheap motorcycle engine. Took it in today and found the cause was the front drivers side wheel bearing was bad. Car with 80k miles. I have driven all prior cars I have owned to around 250k miles and never had this issue. Reading on this forum and elsewhere looks like this is a fairly common problem for clarities and Honda really screwed up on this for our cars. So, if you hear a motorcycle engine sound in electric, that is probably your issue.

turtleturtle likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

@Tydoc , what was the cost to replace if you don't mind sharing? I assume you took it to a Honda dealer? I've had to replace the front hubs on a 2002 Tahoe a couple of times in it's 230k mile life so far. It's not a big job on the Tahoe, and the part is about $150 from what I remember.

4. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

We've had tow PHEV Clarity cars. The first developed a bad left-front wheel bearing after two years and 35,000 miles. We traded it in for a new Clarity, telling the dealer about the wheel bearing but they didn't seem to care.

5. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

I don't think Clarities are the only one having front suspension/steering issue. Our cars and EVs are so much heavier than ICE that the mechanical parts can't keep up. A lot of Teslas are having ball joint popping out. From what I read, they cost over $2k to fix. Ouch.

turtleturtle likes this.
  6. Tydoc

Tydoc New Member

$650 done at dealership. However that was naivety on my part as it is not something I have done on other cars. Looks like other forums indicate about $350 at independent shops. (Though if I had it done elsewhere the dealership would have charged me a separate $160 diagnostic charge so only about $130 difference in the end). Uses the same parts as other Honda vehicles. Also on google search sounds like at least 5-6 people had it fail before 36kmile warranty and all were drivers front as well. Because of that, I think it is likely not just the heavier weight of the vehicle but probably a problem with how they sealed/lubricated it in the factory. Pure speculation there, but seems like a pattern.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. gedwin

gedwin Member

What model year was this? It may not matter, but if speculations are a manufacturing issue then might be model year dependent….

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. Tydoc

Tydoc New Member

gedwin likes this.
  10. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Our 2018 front driver's wheel bearing went out. We told the dealer about it when we traded for a new 2020. The dealer didn't seem to care.

gedwin likes this.
  11. ShepherdWalker

ShepherdWalker New Member

Passenger front bearing on my '18 with just under 60000 miles. Gouged for about $1000.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

I looked thorough my hondacare contract and looks like wheel bearing is a covered item. Did anyone had this replacement done covered by hondacare?

14. It’s almost guaranteed that if you have the Hondacare contract the bearings will not fail while covered.

That said, I’m glad we have the contract for 4 more years.

turtleturtle likes this.