Next-gen Mini Cooper SE caught undisguised

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Domenick, Apr 3, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

With the better pictures, I see a front radar for improved adaptive cruise (in the upper black part of the grill) and a front facing camera right above the license plate, probably for some sort of 360 parking view.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I cannot figure out what about this I am not a fan of but I'm not.

4. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

I'll echo what I said in the comments on these photos over on MotoringFile...

Everyone always hates the new MINI. The R56 was too chonky to be called "mini"... the F56 looked like a scared goldfish... this J01 looks cheap and has an ugly rear...

Well, I like it. I don't know if I'm on board with fewer tactile buttons, the Spike concept, etc. But with the exterior, I think they did a great job at taking a noticeable step forward from the R56/F56 look, while maintaining "MINI-ness"; nobody is going to look at that and confuse it for another brand. Though, I do think bonnet stripes may more challenging on this one... they'll have to be perfectly positioned not to conflict with those strong creases down the front.

And my favorite part is probably that controversial rear. I'm honestly surprised at all the initial hate it's receiving, given how much criticism there's been of the almost comically-large tail light assemblies of the R56/F56 generation. It's certainly a departure, and clearly we fear change... but they've been tightened up and fit in better with the overall design at the back. I just hope (likely in vain) that they feature a turn signal that's separate from the brake light when the J01 eventually makes its way to North America.

Puppethead likes this.
  5. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

And Gabriel's key assessment:
    In fact there’s really not a single design elements [sic] that doesn’t have purpose functionally.

Edit: I chose this post to finally update my avatar from my 2018 Honda Clarity to my aerodynamic 2021 MINI Cooper SE (which, at 15K miles, has just passed the poor, neglected Clarity) .

Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
    Domenick and MichaelC like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Domenick likes this.
  9. sacharama

sacharama Active Member

Not feeling it especially the rear...those taillights and the Cadillac looking "c o o p e r" are uninspiring to say the least...

10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

If it accelerates quicker than a Tesla, corners better than a Lotus, and goes further on a charge than a Lucid, no one will mind the looks of the new SE. The Zhangjiagang SE's rear end looks better than its Ora Funky Cat counterpart:

upload_2023-4-21_19-52-21.png

Qisl and Carsten Haase like this.
  11. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Yeah but I can fit at least 8 more clowns in the 4 door Funky Cat!

sacharama and insightman like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

As an overall car I think I it looks fine.
    As a Mini I’m not so convinced.

The wheelbase is too long, emphasizes by the area between the end of the front door and the wheel arch. And a really big rear wide window. At least in terms of proportions to the rest of the car. It looks stretched…
    The back is the worst part. I’d be fine with it if it didn’t say Mini on it because the design doesn’t say Mini to me…
    The front is ok, it too different to what we already have, just modernized.
    It looks cheaper to make to me…

Maybe we’ll get used to it and maybe it just doesn’t photograph well…

sacharama likes this.
  14. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

I don’t know if it’s possible to want one more than I already do, but if there’s a frunk under that huge hood I might find out.

Also a bike rack or 1.25” hitch option but I know better than to hope for that. And an even more unlikely plus would be if it fits wheels/tires from the current SE

Domenick likes this.
  15. sacharama

sacharama Active Member

In the meantime, the next full electric countryman is spotted in California

Mini-Countryman-008_pzn2th.jpg Mini-Countryman-004_qrafan (1).jpg

GvilleGuy likes this.
  16. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

I don't like how the Countryman looks either, but whatevs. I'm sure I'll get used to all the new versions eventually.

17. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

My reaction to the electric countryman is the same reaction that I have for the Subaru Ascent: Das Boot.

I'll wait for the Aceman (to potentially replace my Outback).

(If you'd asked me a year ago if I'd ever jump from Subaru to some other manufacturer, I'd have said "no way in hell!")

18. sacharama

sacharama Active Member

I disagree. While it's true that many people base their purchasing decisions on practicality, best bang for the bucks, and other conventional value factors, there are also people who weigh heavily on aesthetic and sensibility when making their purchase decision. So, I don't think "no one will mind the looks of ..." is true at all.

PoweredUp likes this.
  19. sacharama

sacharama Active Member

In camouflage in action

20. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Domenick likes this.
  21. sacharama

sacharama Active Member

Oh I am aware of those forums, I posted the video link here in relation to this thread which is about the next-gen mini. It wasn't like I posted a link of the next gen Chevy here.

Domenick likes this.
  22. piflechien

piflechien New Member

I just had the privilege to see the new 2024 mini at a "closed room" event organized by Mini.
    don't ask for photo as they put your phone in a locker and search you before letting you in the room...
    It was the model we saw previously white roof and blue body.

- The hood seemed shorter than the current MINIs
    - there won't be any openable sunroof. Just a transparent roof.
    - Standard wheels were 18"
    - no more rod on the roof, just a little bump
    - no more chrome anywhere (logo, handles, etc.)
    - Still no frunk. And boot is still the same size
    - New driving aids like dead spot detector lights in the side mirrors, dynamic speed regulator
    - Front and rear camera, with 360 view
    - Smaller and not completely round steering wheel
    - Electric seats with memory.
    - Induction charger is now below the screen and large enough for larger phones.
    - Amazing round OLED screen, very fluid, with a new OS, multitouch screen. Maps were very very fluid and much more nice than current ones
    - No more screen behind the wheel, only HUD will remain. they don't know if it will be optional or available on all models.
    - Not much physical buttons under the screen. just start stop, gear button (Drive, Park, Rear) no more gear lever, Warning blinkers and few stuff .
    - Apple car key compatibility. Physical key knobs (remote) are awful I hope they were unfinished prototypes
    - Possiblity to configure visual signature of front and rear lights. (3 styles)
    - 7 driving modes totally configurable.
    - larger battery model will be 54kWh / 410 km range / DC charging at 100kW top.
    - max speed 180km/h with 218hp

Official prices and availability should be confirmed around September.
    Can't wait.

bucoshi, F14Scott, Domenick and 4 others like this.
  23. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

100kw charging is pretty disappointing.I’d be curious to see the charging curve though