Plug and play HomeLink mirror

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Goof Cat, Mar 26, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Goof Cat

Goof Cat New Member

My 2022 Niro EV EX did not come with HomeLink or even auto dimming Mirror, just the useless UVO mirror. So I went looking for an easy solution. What I found was that you can use a Hyundai, Genesis or Kia, 6 button mirror and it is basically a super easy 5 minute process. Just Lower the mirror, pop off the rectangular plastic covering above the mirror arm (a plastic scraper or a credit card inserted into the gap will pop it right off). A T20 bit for your screw driver is all you need to loosen and slide off the old mirror. Plug in the connector at the top, slide the mirror back on, tighten the screw, pop the cover back on.

The key is you want the latest mirror: model UAHL5A
    The "5" indicates that it is the latest version 5 of the homelink system. You want to get the one with the "10 pin" plug.

These can be found on Ebay for about $100 USD shipped.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/144973231503

To program the HomeLink buttons first hold down the 1st and 3rd button until it turns orange (clears presets). Push the HomeLink button you want to program, hold you remote button about 2 inches away.

To calibrate the compass on the mirror, drive around in a circle, about 2 circles should be enough

Robert Bratton likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. skidad68

skidad68 New Member

Just did this upgrade myself and I can confirm that it works great. Thanks for the tip!

One thing to note is that the Homelink mirror has a different shape than the standard mirror (the narrow edge of the trapezoid is at the bottom instead of at the top). You may think you have the wrong part, but you don't. This difference is normal and matches the illustrations in the owner's manual.

4. Robert Besen

Robert Besen Member

Does anyone know if this will work on a 2020 premium?

5. Goof Cat

Goof Cat New Member

It should work if you have a powered mirror (UVO) buttons and the 10 pin connector. Just pull off the plastic cover above the mirror and unplug the connector, you can leave the mirror in place.

One thing I learned is that the homelink works right away, but the UVO buttons takes a couple of hours to work. At first pushing the buttons does nothing, but after a couple of hours, it activates the UVO service.

6. Robert Besen

Robert Besen Member

Thanks!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JimA

JimA New Member

This is great, thanks. I've been searching forums about an auto dimming mirror and they all involve a different mirror and more complex wiring. I've just ordered the mirror off eBay from a different seller. Thanks again!