Bumper & Fascia swapped to JCW / S

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by rob-sf, Apr 7, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. rob-sf

rob-sf Member

OutMotoring got me set up with the parts to swap the JCW rear bumper and S front fascia onto my 2022 SE:

After 2k miles with the new kit, same commute and driving habits, surprisingly my overall efficiency did not change at all from the OEM bumper.
    3.9 kWh/mi before and after.

Next step is to come up with something to fill the gap where the JCW exhaust tips would sit.

I also have the 2022 facelift SE bumpers that were removed in Moonwalk Grey if anyone wants them (in San Francisco / San Jose area). Maybe a 2020/2021 SE looking to update their look?

F14Scott, Qisl, h-dogg and 2 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

You could always install a couple of faux exhaust tips, and be totally stealth (although I suppose you would also need one of those aftermarket audio systems that broadcasts fake engine noises).

CoachCookie, insightman and rob-sf like this.
  4. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Looks great! Are coil-overs or lowering springs next on your list?

5. rob-sf

rob-sf Member

I would love to (my R53 was on coilovers) but I really want to keep the smooth stock ride quality on the SE. I think it is slightly smoother and quieter than most Model 3s that I've driven.

But maybe a stiffer rear sway bar !

F620AA04-5121-4ED4-A331-9D1CCF74F108.jpg

6. h-dogg

h-dogg Member

That looks awesome!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

9. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

When I switched to the 2021 S front end, I blocked off the top portion of the grill to improve aero and have it match the amount of air that is allowed to pass through to the A/C condenser.

It looks like you lost your rear fog lights so maybe a single rear fog light could fill that gap in the rear diffuser. Other Minis have a single rear fog light in the center too so it won't look odd.

SameGuy likes this.
  10. endquote

endquote Active Member

Where in SF are you? I'm in the Richmond.

11. rob-sf

rob-sf Member

Mountain View

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. CoachCookie

CoachCookie Active Member

I like that rear fascia, but would definitely need something to fill that exhaust gap. Also lowering is a must :)

SameGuy likes this.
  14. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

Would a hitch receiver now fit in that exhaust gap? You could add a bike rack or one of these.

15. rob-sf

rob-sf Member

I've got the OutMotoring hitch kit in there but it's very low (to clear the exhaust on gas models).

Might make a hitch receiver cover that holds some eBay exhaust tips in the right location, then red LED rings inside the tips, wired to the old fog light connectors. Could be fun.

Screen Shot 2023-04-13 at 5.12.09 PM.png

F14Scott, Tommm and SameGuy like this.
  16. SJA

SJA Member

Do you have to change the side fenders in the rear to make the bumper diffuser fit properly? Thinking to try this out

17. rob-sf

rob-sf Member

I changed the rear wheel arches since OutMotoring provided them, but it looked like the original SE arches might fit with the JCW rear bumper.
    [​IMG]

CoachCookie likes this.
  18. SJA

SJA Member

Do you have the part numbers for the front bumper and rear fascia? Curious if you can post a pic of the car from the front I am curious how the air ducts look?

19. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

@rob-sf did you notice that the gap between the tires and the wheel arches are now larger? The SE has unique wheel arches because the ride height is 18mm higher. This is done to keep the gap between the tire and wheel arch consistent across models.

SameGuy likes this.
  20. jwzimm

jwzimm Active Member

A little off topic but it looks like your rear fogs are not red. Did you swap in some aftermarket units at some point prior to this swap? Reason I ask is I have my rear fogs coded to come on with my reverse lights to give more rear illumination. They would work even better if the lenses were swapped for something not red.

If they are indeed something different would you consider selling them?

21. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

22. rob-sf

rob-sf Member