Road Trip - Tesla Model 3LR vs Honda Clarity

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Fast Eddie B, Mar 23, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

It was truly a screaming deal when I bought in October 2018. I think the financing was 0%, and the pretax price out the door was 19.5k including the federal rebate (no state rebate in CT). Base model. Cheaper than the Accord. No way I could not do it.

Fast Eddie B likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Indeed. It wasn’t easy to find a new mid-level sedan in the $20K-$25K range 4-5 years ago. Today, it’s pretty much impossible. The low cost minimizes depreciation compared to higher priced options. Just one more benefit to add to the list.

4. CA e-tron owner

CA e-tron owner New Member

We drove 8,840 miles in our 2018 Tesla Model 3 long range RWD last Autumn, from California, through the northern US, including Ontario and Quebec, down the East Coast to NC, then back along I-40 to CA. The average gasoline price we saw posted was well above $3.19/gallon, much closer to a range of $4-$6/gallon, depending on the state. We used Tesla SuperChargers, plus several destination chargers (Tesla and other brand level 2), on this trip. We also charged in our Daughter's garage in NC, which cost us nothing, of course. We determined that we saved over $750 on gasoline, even with the increased cost of SuperChargers in some areas. We were anywhere from $0.23/kWh to $0.45/kWh, though we were charged by time in Canada (which has thankfully been changed by governmental decree to by kWh delivered) and several states (should be illegal, since gasoline is charged by #gallons delivered, not by the time at the pump).

While a 42 mpg car would have been closer to our use than the average 28-30mpg mid-luxury standard we applied, we are also certain that we spent less on electricity (the destination chargers were FREE) than we would have on gasoline, plus we did not have to endure the stink and pollution of gasoline stations, nor support oil companies. We had many pleasant stops along the way at SuperCharger stations that were quite pleasant and calm.

We also own a 2017 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron, but the range has declined from 22 miles all-electric when new to about 15 miles now. We are much more satisfied driving our Model 3 than we have ever been with any ICE. We do not intend to ever return to ICEs.

Fast Eddie B likes this.
  5. Sounds like a fun trip. The Tesla’s are great for devouring highway miles, but to be fair the Clarity was as well.

If you ever find yourself on I-40 just west of Knoxville, we’re just a few miles from the I-40/I-75 split. We can visit and compare notes. We can also offer a 50A RV receptacle if you want to top off - special insideevsforum discount, of course!

Just joking - no charge! :cool:

6. CA e-tron owner

CA e-tron owner New Member

We stayed at Hyatt Place, 7905 Giacosa PL, Wolfchase, on our way home to California. We passed not too far from your home. Small world.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Jason Kunst

Jason Kunst New Member

I guessed at the $3.19/gal figure, though it seemed to be about average for this trip. I compared the cost with the two cars we also travel or traveled with. Looks like the cost of the trip in gas for our Clarity would have been very close to the same as the Tesla mostly Supercharging. So, for any car doing better than 42 mpg, or if gas prices fall a bit more while electric rates remain the same, one might be slightly ahead with a gas or PHEV car.[/QUOTE]

Electric cars really shine when charged at home, if you have low cost or solar power. For us $8.00 at home would fill our Model Y if we were not using solar.[/QUOTE]
    I only charge at home when the sun is out. we get 14c kwh.. if its under $3 gal cheaper than electric imagine that.. but again my solar is worth about 3c kwh

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2023
  9. BrucePLSBA

BrucePLSBA New Member

I have a 2018 Clarity and I love it. Will Honda bring this car back online?

10. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I agree with you. Probably the best car I've ever owned thus far. Our family has also had 3 Volts, a 2012, 2013, and a 2019 that we still have. The 2012 was a great car, no real issues in 80k other than some battery degradation and we traded it on the 2019 Volt. The 2013 just was never as good (squeaked and popped and rattled everywhere and just wasn't as efficient for some reason). The 2019 is the best of the lot of Volts, but the Clarity is just so much more spacious and thus versatile. We will definitely wear the Clarity out before looking for a replacement (unless it is wrecked first). The 2019 Volt may be kept the same amount of time/miles, but it would go before the Clarity if we were just replacing a car. As to Honda ever bringing the Clarity back, I'd put those odds at "really low". They are still dabbling with PHEV with the CRV PHEV Hydrogen Fuel Cell that will not be offered here from what I read, and there is the 13 Mile electric range Accord PHEV. Maybe they will eventually increase the electric range of the Accord with it so that is is Clarity-like, but I doubt it.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2023
  11. Can you clarify that statement?
    Does the power company credit solar production at $.14/kWh? If so, why is your solar only worth $.03/lWh?

David Towle likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Well, for the past 3 years, they have only needed to make the cars they make the most profit from (SUVs/Pickups) since they could sell every EV they could make. Even the gas automakers weren't making many small energy efficient cars either.

Now that the market is changing back, it will be interesting to see if we see more smaller more efficient models. For the most part people want SUVs and Pickups though.