Prying Model 3 from my hands ... Ioniq 6

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 6' started by bwilson4web, Mar 26, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Things I like:
    • 5 cycle EPA testing (not yet in EPA Fueleconomy,gov)
    • front drive disconnect (not really interested in AWD)
    • optional 120 VAC, 15 A, 60 Hz AC output
    • Up to 50 A charging on L2
    • Integration with Tesla on SuperCharger access
    • Heat pump
    • Low coefficient of drag in a sedan size body
    • Body structure is not 'busy' with too many smaller pieces
    • Shows a cutaway so I won't have to wait on Munro
    • Hyundai is fiscally sound
    • Not sure about modular battery versus structural
    • No discussion of driver assistance automation (show stopper!)
    My 2019 Tesla Model 3 with 101,423 miles is getting 'long in the tooth.' The 220 mile EV range is OK because of the SuperCharger network growth. But the 361 mi EV range and fast DC charging is attractive.

No, I am not 'hair on fire' to get an Ioniq 6 but rather I'm out to run the Model 3 until the tires fall off. Like the song says, "Love the one your with".

Bob Wilson

navguy12 likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Hyundai is warning about extremely limited availability of the Ioniq 6, and Alabama isn't in the list of states where availability is even a possibility: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, and Washington.

Stories on InsideEVs' Hyundai/Kia forums make me think Hyundai/Kia have some work to do before they achieve Tesla levels of reliability. Perhaps Hyundai will get their act together with the Ioniq 6, but that has yet to be determined.

4. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Hyundai doesn't offer the levels of customization as Tesla does. As a big Ghostbusters fan I can finally have my dreams of an all electric Ecto-1!!

tesla921ezbojvypa1.jpg

5. bwilson4web

Plz, give me a hard problem.

In 2016, I flew to Rhode Island to buy a 2017 Prius Prime that "Corrupt SE Toyota Region" would not sell. It was only 2,000 miles to drive home. I later traded it in for a 2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus when I learned my 2014 BMW i3-REx was a better PHEV than the Prius Prime.

Bob Wilson

6. insightman

OK, next problem: How much over MSRP are you willing to pay a greedy Hyundai dealer to get the "extremely limited availability" I6 before driving it 2,000 miles home?

I am very impressed by your willingness to go as far as 2,000 miles to get what you want.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

One local Hyundai dealer is adding almost $7,000 to the MSRP price on a Ioniq 6. The other two dealers are more reasonable. One is selling with $2,000 in add-ons. The other is listing at MSRP.

9. insightman

Just within @bwilson4web's purchase radius! Do any of these 3 dealers quote delivery times? I can guess which one would quote the longest delivery time.

10. bwilson4web

I’m still interested in driving my Model 3 until the wheels fall off. I’ve also had enough experience with new model, infantile problems. So I’m probably 2-3 years away from any potential purchase. Meanwhile, Tesla is not sitting on their hands either.

Bob Wilson

Domenick likes this.
  11. insightman

I'm hoping Tesla comes up with a Model 2 that's as sporty as BMW's upcoming Chinese replacement for my MINI Cooper SE. I'm more opposed to a car from China than I am to succumbing to Tesla. There's no other company even hinting they might make a small, sporty EV.

That said, it's sad that the latest Tesla recall in China is for problems with cars built in the US.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. rcarter3636

rcarter3636 Member

Alabama dealers are going to receive several I6 models. I’ve been in touch with a dealer in Birmingham and saw a dock list on a Hyundai forum. This dealer also has 10-12 I5 in stock.
    California will of course get the most but yes this cars get will be limited for the time being.

14. insightman

I wonder why Hyundai bothered to publish a list of states getting the I6 if they're actually shipping to states not on the list?

15. insightman

16. rcarter3636

rcarter3636 Member

I believe I am contempt to wait even if I could get my hands on one.
    I got burned by VW iD4 software and no updates.
    I will wait and see how Hyundai will proceed.
    They have said the I6 will be the first to implement OTA (I’m not talking nav or infotainment display).
    By the time it’s OTA supposedly start rolling out, Chevy Blazer and Equinox EV’s should be rolling out. Although probably limited quantities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. insightman

Yes, Hyundai is clearly still learning how to make EVs reliable. Ioniq 5 owners are just now learning what parts Hyundai needs to replace (one of the parts is a fuse?) to stop their 12-Volt batteries from going dead. That wouldn't be a problem they could solve through an OTA.

The only software update I've needed for my MINI Cooper SE dealt with the nation-wide sunsetting of 3G cellular service. I'm lucky BMW had years to work out the kinks with their i3 and the very limited production, lease-only 2009 MINI E before they created my electric MINI.

18. rcarter3636

rcarter3636 Member

Test drove the I6 today. SEL RW long range. Getting in and out of the front seat was not bad at all. Thought it would be very low. I believe Kyle pointed out in his walk around that you sit up a little.
    Very smooth in city and highway. Took bumps/road imperfections very well.
    Rhode better than my Lexus RX350 (20” wheels).
    Tight finishes throughout. There is plastic but very well made.
    I pedal was very good down to the stop. Didn’t try the other levels.
    HDA 2 handled highway curves very well and never disengaged. Even on a very sharp curve off ramp lane centering stayed on.
    Wanted almost $10k over MSRP but by the time I had gotten to my car in the parking lot, that dropped by half. LOL
    I’ll wait to see how Hyundai handles software OTA updates but this one is sure in the running!
    Only thing I would miss is ventilated seat. Wish I could trade those for the sunroof in the limited and wish Hyundai would let you spec it out the way you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

insightman likes this.
  19. Tudor

Tudor New Member

Wait, WHAT? Stories of real users on groups make me statistically certain that Tesla has to do A LOT of work (not some) to achieve Hyundai levels of reliability. Have you seen any of these on Hyundai: chairs or body parts fallen off, misaligned body parts, failing nuts, 10% per week vampire drain, not even close to meeting quoted range? Some of these are quite common in Tesla.

Also: what's with the OTA? I'd specifically want a car WITHOUT OTA because I don't want the manufacturer to implement planned obsolescence in the same style as apple has done in the past. If they want to do something, I want to know what and when and I want to be able to say no if it alters the characteristics of the product I paid for! If they have do to 100 updates and adjustments after I buy the car, then really it's a badly designed product that I shouldn't have bought in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2023
  20. navguy12

navguy12 Well-Known Member

And in a free market economy, you can!

21. Tudor

Tudor New Member

Syntax error - I can... what? (we kind of are in a free economy and I know what I can do, btw)

22. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

From my personal experience, my Hyundai Sonata Plug-in is below average in reliability. Not only has it left me stranded twice on the road, but it's been in the shop for multiple expensive repairs. Thankfully, for the most part they have been covered under the 5 year warranty and 8 year emissions warranty, although I have shelled out over a thousand dollars in non-warranty covered repairs to the engine. Honestly, I don't trust the car to go long distances.

So from my experience, Hyundai has nothing to brag about.

If you believe Consumer Reports, they generally have given Hyundai/Kia EVs and average reliability score for cars that have been out a couple of years. The Tesla model 3 also gets and average reliability score.

Plus, I've always thought if Tesla makes such bad cars, why are they selling so many of them?

navguy12 likes this.