Road Trip - Tesla Model 3LR vs Honda Clarity

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Fast Eddie B, Mar 23, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. You may recall we owned a 2018 Clarity until Feb 2022 when we bought a Tesla Model 3LR. Kept the Clarity in the family, passing it down to our kids. I'm posting this to show just how well the Clarity would do, cost wise on a recent FL trip in the Tesla.

The trip was our Model 3LR from our TN home, to our GA home, then down the FL east coast as far as Key West, back to Pompano, then across the state and up the west coat. Then Tallahassee then home.

I don't always log or analyze trips like this, but did for a friend who asked.

[​IMG]

I guessed at the $3.19/gal figure, though it seemed to be about average for this trip. I compared the cost with the two cars we also travel or traveled with. Looks like the cost of the trip in gas for our Clarity would have been very close to the same as the Tesla mostly Supercharging. So, for any car doing better than 42 mpg, or if gas prices fall a bit more while electric rates remain the same, one might be slightly ahead with a gas or PHEV car.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    sabasc, turtleturtle and JFon101231 like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Did the Tesla cost more than the Clarity?

Just wondering what the lifetime cost per mile would be if you were to donate the Tesla to the kids in a few years.

4. Yes. Substantially more. Roughly $54,500 vs $32,500.

I think it points out what a screaming bargain a Clarity was/is. But we do love our Tesla and have no regrets. We do have an order in for a CyberTruck, so that may very well be our next Tesla - but probably keeping the Model 3 for at least a few more years as a daily driver.

LegoZ likes this.
  5. Unfortunately, electric SUV’s and pickups are barely getting half of the 3-4 miles per kWh as electric sedans. They’re mostly going to serve as commuters and grocery getters. In my opinion the EV industry is shooting itself in the anode by putting the technology into such inefficient vehicles.

At least no one will be able to break the window with a hammer. What if you ever needed to break the window to get out?

sabasc likes this.
  6. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

[/QUOTE] I guessed at the $3.19/gal figure, though it seemed to be about average for this trip. I compared the cost with the two cars we also travel or traveled with. Looks like the cost of the trip in gas for our Clarity would have been very close to the same as the Tesla mostly Supercharging. So, for any car doing better than 42 mpg, or if gas prices fall a bit more while electric rates remain the same, one might be slightly ahead with a gas or PHEV car.[/QUOTE]

Electric cars really shine when charged at home, if you have low cost or solar power. For us $8.00 at home would fill our Model Y if we were not using solar.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. The blue bars are charging at home, replenishing our daily driving, and each represents between $1 and $5 @ 11¢ per kWh.

[​IMG]

Of course, I expect the Clarity does equally well on local trips.

9. Zoinks! That 71% supercharging brings the average cost up to more than $.25/kWh. That, and the 7% other, works out to about $.30/kWh.

10. DaleL

DaleL Active Member

I agree. My 2018 Touring, after subtracting the Federal tax credit, was about $30,000 new. I bought a Tesla Y immediately after the Tesla $13,000 price cut. Even after subtracting the IRA $7,500, my Model Y cost about $48,000. In comparing the two, my Clarity had a more comfortable ride, familiar controls, familiar driving dynamics, Pandora app/bluetooth integration. My Y has much better headlights, wipers, acceleration, handling, and Spotify integration. It also has a more usable cargo space.

LegoZ and David Towle like this.
  11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Are there any LED headlights worse than the Clarity's?

LegoZ likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I only started this thread to highlight that the Clarity is a near equal to a Tesla Model 3 in cross-country energy use.

But yes, the Clarity headlights were quite disappointing. Not quite Lucas-level, but close.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
    sabasc likes this.
  14. The $32,500 price I mentioned for my Clarity did not take into account the $7,500 tax credit I got in 2018. Making it an even bigger bargain!

sabasc likes this.
  15. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Love the graphic! Lucas never got a chance to screw up LED headlights, so we'll never know if they would have been worse than the Clarity's LED headlights.

Back to the thread: Perhaps Honda purposely specified weak, minimal-drain LED headlights to increase EV range at night, and that is why they aren't as bright as Tesla headlights.

sabasc likes this.
  16. Using similar gas and electricity rates, as presented in this example, wouldn’t any vehicle that gets about 40mpg produce a cost per mile figure that is comparable to the Tesla?

Out of curiosity, what was the total amount of time spent at the 17 Supercharger stations?

Back off topic, I find the headlights to be more than adequate.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    sabasc and Jason Kunst like this.
  17. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

IMG_9273.jpg
    Exactly when we bought ours. I like the Tesla ride better, and the Tesla space is way bigger and more usable. Since most all our driving is local in both cars the cost for both (when I drive them) is about 2 cents per mile at 11 cents per kwh if we paid, equal to gas at less than $1 per gallon. My wife costs about 20% more when she drives. See my license frame.

sabasc and DaleL like this.
  18. Yes. I thought I made that clear, with “So, for any car doing better than 42 mpg, or if gas prices fall a bit more while electric rates remain the same, one might be slightly ahead with a gas or PHEV car.”

Assuming a 20 minute average charge time, about 5.6 hours if I’m doing the math right. Sounds like a lot, but for the most part after 2 or 3 hours of driving, we’re ready for a potty break. By the time we grab a drink and/or snack, walk the dog, check email, Facebook, Twitter and forums, the car is usually ready before we are. I can see how it might be a burden for somebody who likes to “gas & go” quickly, but that’s not us.

LegoZ likes this.
  19. That was clear. I may have been mesmerized by the visual aids.

It may also become clear that the EV SUV’s and pickup trucks that get ~2 miles per kWh, will have the same energy cost per mile as an ICE equivalent when comparing fast charging rates to petrol costs.

There’s no telling where gas prices are headed, however, it’s obvious where electricity rates are headed.

20. I got the $7,500, also got about $1,600 from my state plus 0.9% 5 year from Honda when I bought in 2018. Dealer wanted under $33,000 for my Touring before all the cash off. Screaming deal, although I think people who bought it early in 2019 might have even done better since the street price drifted down further.

Honda did an awful job promoting this car when it was available new, and the dealers had no idea what to do with it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
  21. We managed to get $5000 off from Honda, which ran through August of 2019. In addition to the $7500 Fed credit, there was a $2500 state rebate. That took about a year to receive. Net cost was about $23K for the Touring model. At one point, dealers were discounting the car $8,000-10,000.

Robert_Alabama likes this.
  22. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

That's a screaming deal compared to mine. No state rebates in Alabama. I bought a touring model in July of 2018 and got about $2k off the MSRP from the dealer. After the $7500 tax credit, I was at about $28-29 k or so after taxes. Still probably the happiest I've ever been with a car purchase, so kudos to those that got better deals! I've got 45k miles on the car and hopefully it will still be going strong at 100k in 4-5 more years...

23. We did get peeled with the 1.9% financing.