Missing coolant and refill alert unfixable

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by snowy2020, Aug 16, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. snowy2020

snowy2020 Member

Yes I think so. They're the same basic drivetrain I believe.

Look at this... https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10191531-0001.pdf it's a TSB for it. If you listen to the "Normal" vs "Abnormal" mine is probably closer to "normal" which is why they won't do anything...but I've been paying attention and it's definitely getting worse/louder over time. Meanwhile my Bolt with more mileage sounds smooth as butter. Apparently Kia just makes s&*t motors.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Sorry to hear this is dragging on.

Similar inaction lead to the sale of my 19 EV ex - it took KIAa full year to not fix my problem. Most of us dare not tie up so much money in something that can't be repaired.

4. snowy2020

snowy2020 Member

Out of curiosity, how did you sell it? I could easily sell the car for a reasonable price but haven't because I'm hopeful Kia can just fix the thing (we liked the car), I'd take a huge hit selling a car with a warning on the dash that won't go away (trying to sell a car with such an obvious unrepairable defect), and repurchasing a new car at today's inflation + interest rates would be another bath. We're kind of dragging our feet since it would cost so much money to replace.

5. I used Carwiser.
    That compiled three quotes.

Part of the listing process required disclosure oany warning lights.

6. snowy2020

snowy2020 Member

Thanks for the tip. I did look into this as well as others. Everyone is really lowballing because of the warning light. I'd be out thousands of dollars. I'm stuck with this thing.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I took my 2020 Kia Niro EV in for its 24 month service today and they said that there is a Recall, SA512 Inverter Coolant/Debris Message, but they couldn't take care of it as they need to order coolant for the campaign. So I'd have to come back or go to a different dealer.

I looked up my VIN on the NHTSA.gov web site and could find nothing about this recall.

9. snowy2020

snowy2020 Member

I couldn’t find anything about that recall number at all. I wonder if they’re mixing it up with the EPCU leak recall that was issued for a select number of 2020s? That was with poor seals causing coolant to leak internally into a computer unit.

Did they specifically call it a “inverter coolant/debris message” recall? I might open my 12th ticket with Kia corporate to try and inquire directly about it.

10. Yes, that's what was printed on Service Order, see photo.
    Inverter coolant.jpg

11. snowy2020

snowy2020 Member

That's super helpful, thank you. I called Kia corporate and verified that it's a valid recall service, but they couldn't tell me anything other than what's written there on the title. It may take a few days to reach the service department at the dealership but if I get anywhere I'll post an update.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. snowy2020

snowy2020 Member

I verified with the dealership that it’s a valid recall and I’m bringing it in soon. I’ll post the result once the work is done, if it works out.

14. snowy2020

snowy2020 Member

15. snowy2020

snowy2020 Member

16. I went to another dealer under the same ownership on 5/26/23 and they replaced all the blue inverter coolant. It took them 3 hours to follow the steps and get all the air bubbles out. I never had any loss of coolant before going to this dealer. Now it is 1/2" below the MIN line. Guess I better call the dealer.

17. snowy2020

snowy2020 Member

This is on par with my experience. However when I brought it back, they told me it was a mistake to give the car back so soon. The recall specifies the car needs to be held for 3 DAYS, with a final purging and more tests and very long test drives. When I did get the car back the coolant continued to drop, the light still came back on after a couple of days, and it's headed back to the dealer...again. There's something seriously wrong with the coolant flushes in this car.

18. snowy2020

snowy2020 Member

I also just wanted to mention, consider picking up a gallon of coolant. It seems that after the flush it takes a long time for everything to work its way through. My car has been flushed *checks notes* 4 times now, and it happens every time. Watch it daily for a week or two and top off as needed and eventually it levels off.

19. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

How much did you have to pay for a gallon of Kia coolant? Do all colors cost the same?

20. snowy2020

snowy2020 Member

$65. No it’s specific coolant, BSC-2 and is way more expensive than any of the other types.

electriceddy and insightman like this.