How to start Android Auto

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Danks, Mar 6, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Danks

Danks Active Member

When we first got our Clarity and I plugged my phone into the driver's side USB - I was always prompted to start Bluetooth and use Android Auto. I tried AA, but didn't like it. At some point the prompts stopped.

AA now says it will display live weather radar while navigating and, if that works, I would like to use it. I have Android Auto installed on my Pixel phone. I am able to connect my phone to the car with a Bluetooth connection = "HandsFreeLink." AA does not appear on the car display and doesn't start automatically on my phone. When I try to run AA on my phone it just prompts me to connect to the car - which I can't seem to do for AA.

Any ideas?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

You have to connect it via USB. No Bluetooth.

4. Danks

Danks Active Member

Thank you. I'll quit chasing the Bluetooth rabbit - which I was chasing because I was getting nothing via USB.

Today I blew out the USB port, both ends of the cable, and the port on my phone and tried again. Nothing. Replaced the cable. Nothing. Tried my wife's phone and Android Auto popped right up. (Her phone did nothing last night). I upgraded her AA version to the same as mine and her phone still works. Tried mine again. Still nothing. I'm wondering if it is more sensitive to the cable or if a battery replacement last year fouled something up.

5. zman0900

zman0900 New Member

There are some settings on the phone side that control if Android Auto starts automatically, on main page of "Android Auto" app. Maybe you changed those at some point?

6. Danks

Danks Active Member

Thank you for the suggestion. I checked and found a setting "Start Android Auto Automatically." It was set to Default (set by the car). I changed it to Always and my phone still will not connect. My wife's phone is set to Default (set by the car) and hers connects. Amazon says my new USB cable should arrive on Sunday. I'll see if that makes a difference.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Danks

Danks Active Member

The new cables didn't help.

9. Ray B

Ray B Active Member

10. AHolbro1

AHolbro1 Member

I had no problems with AA until one fine day the port on my phone got a bit loose, (was USB micro vice USB-C, as I recall) but when that got loose, the phone would still charge when left on desk and untouched, and charge with some interruptions in the car, but absolutely would no longer trigger AA to start. Same as you, had it on the phone, could call it up, but could not make the car recognize that a device with the AA app was connected. I loaded AA on an older, unused phone, hotspotted from my loose-connection phone, and ran AA that way for a few months until I obtained a new phone.

11. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Active Member

My Android Auto stopped working for whatever reason. It was working fine for a while. I tried several cables and tried a different phone but it was the same. It was sort of working when it started having problems but I had to forget the car on the phone and then reconnect the cable. AA would start up but if I left AA, there was no way to go back to it because the menu button on the bottom left doesn't show Android Auto only smartphone connection. The button would just double beep if pressed. I had to repeat the forgetting process. Given that I tried another phone with the same result, it should be the car. Maybe the usb port is getting bad or the car software is messed up. Is there a software reset? Is it safe to do? I tried some of the AA troubleshooting like uninstalling and clearing cache/data.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Active Member

I managed to fix my Android Auto problem by rebooting the interface. Just touch and hold on the audio button on the top left until it asks to reboot. Everything seems to be good now and I think my settings were not erased.

insightman likes this.