Does Mini discourage frequent charging?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by JoeC, Oct 20, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Maybe it's the wheel/tire combination that's an issue. I drive 60-70 mph for over 50 miles every day and get over 5 mi/kWh (12.4 kWh/100 km) in the summer with Power Spoke wheels and the OE Goodyears. The range savings by keeping speed under 50 mph is less than 10%. I do use cruise control as much as possible.

amtrucker22, MichaelC and SameGuy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Oh for sure there’s a cold-weather hit, and it’s compounded with the use of winter tires (and possibly heavier rims). But while I’ve been experiencing between roughly +10% and -15% of EPA estimated range for most charges throughout this northern winter, I regularly achieve +25% or better during mild weather. If I had a calculated total range of 120 km (-34%) on a regular basis in moderately cool weather, I’d be cheesed. I did not buy a Toyota bZ4X.

4. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

On Sunday with proper warm weather the range difference was noticeable. I’ve not had any real “hot”
    Weather testing but the difference was there.

5. Aprime

Aprime Member

Sorry guys, I got really salty the other day. It seems the fact we've barely been using under 30 percent of the battery at a time since we got it has been throwing the user-facing reporting out of whack on my car. I keep getting weird charge state changes (I unplugged it and it reported a different battery level than when I start it. A 6% difference, no less) over the last few days and reported consumption seems to be readjusting to normals with today's charge. The weather's been steady and warm all week too.

What triggered a lot of the change was getting to work with 28%, the lowest I'd ever gotten the battery.

I'm not sure I'll be keeping it, though, I don't really have range anxiety and it serves us pretty well for what we use it for, however, we don't have a "practical" car anymore since I swapped out our Prius Prime for the discounted 3, and I really didn't appreciate Mini's shrug response over the new recommendation and it being unsupported via software, it's such an easy fix when you have built in scheduling, too.

6. Aprime

Aprime Member

What model year and tires? The Cooper is way more jumpy.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Zim

Zim Member

120 KM of range is definitely leaning towards a fault or failure somewhere. The only time I've seen those efficiency numbers is while road tripping a heavier VW ID4 120 to 135 kmh through the Cascade Range.

I've never experienced figures above 205 wh/km in the SE, including driving 100 kmh on water saturated roadways with temperatures approaching 0C.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

9. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

2010 S Sport with BF Goodrich Control 205 50R/17, 34 psi front, 32 psi rear*. I replaced the struts/shocks a couple of years ago; the tires have a few thousand miles.

*+2 in the front after experimenting with different pressures while driving the car HARD, e.g., 40 mph through 15 mph roundabouts. The original tires (Coopers? - I bought the car used) would ultimately give up and "roll over" onto the sidewalls (which made for some exciting moments when they transitioned) when pushed to their limit. The Conti Pure Contacts I replaced were much better, and in fact the best of the tires I have tried. The sidewalls of the BFG don't seem to be quite as stiff, but they are quieter and give a bit plusher ride.

Other difference: the 3 has more body roll, and the front tires are more likely to complain during hard cornering. It's also either been windier than normal recently, or the 3 drifts around a bit more on the highway, whereas the SE feels more "planted".

At the end of the day, though, I would say that they are more similar than different, i.e., they're both short-ish wheelbase, FWD cars with slightly stiffer-than-average suspension.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    SameGuy likes this.
  10. SameGuy

YUL
    The nannies in my rear-engined, rear wheel drive smart cabrio (remapped to have all of 110 lbf•ft on tap!) were normally very strict, but I managed a couple of tank-slappers on abrupt transitions during HARD roundabout driving — in spite of the wide, sticky UHP Yoko s.drive tires. Entering the freeway express lanes crabbed 30° like a D1 hoon. Good times.

11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Wish you had video of that manuever in that car!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SameGuy

YUL
    Lol I probably looked like the meter maids/Hill Street Blues scene from Dead Like Me…

insightman likes this.