HV Gas Mileage

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by aperson, Jun 12, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. aperson

aperson New Member

I would like to hear what MPG everyone is getting in HV mode only. This last weekend we drove from Minneapolis to Milwaukee and back (about 720 miles). I used EV for the first (about) 20 miles and then switched to HV. I also switched back to EV the last 30 miles of each leg (to use up all EV miles before reaching the destination). We stayed with family and so was able to charge up before driving back on Sunday. Used the same strategy on the drive back.

I used Trip B to religiously track the average MPG every time I switched to HV. Was pleasantly surprised that I was consistently getting 49 - 52 mpg the whole time I was on HV. This was driving @ 70 miles per hour. That in my opinion is significantly higher than the 42 that we are supposed to get. The temp was around 70 F through the weekend.

What is everyone else getting in HV mode only on the highway?

Advance thanks for sharing your observations!

Note: if you are curious, I used a total of 12 gallons of gas for the drive. That puts me at about 60 miles per gallon of gas considering EV + HV.

ngtroup and Dreamgt like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

HV on the highway was 45mpg (worst case) for mostly I-81 driving last month. Keep it at 70 or just below and it would stay in the high 40s.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Well-Known Member

Here in Texas 70 will get you killed on all of the Interstate Highways (where posted limits are 75 and 80). Between 75 and 80 I've gotten 38-41 mpg pretty consistently - on LA Interstate 10 at 65-70 mph I got up to 44 mpg on one stretch.

5. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

33 to 46 mpg as calculated by the pump (not trip computer). The low was at 75 mph averaging up hill slightly and headwind, best was around 70 mph with more favorable conditions. The computer seems to show 10% high or so. For short distance I have seen 50 mpg or more on the computer.

6. aperson

aperson New Member

That is good to know!! 10% brings it down closer to the 40-44 range promised. How did you calculate by the pump? Did you fill up and then run it down to zero fuel? Assume you must have used the remaining EV range to get to a pump/home?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Viking79

Can't most of the time, the times I have calculated were long highway trips with multiple fuel stops so calculate it as I would for any gas car.

9. CaryLyn

CaryLyn New Member

I would love to know how Clarity owners are calculating MPG, especially when they are only using EV almost exclusively. I use all but 6-10 of my EV miles on most days, but 1-2 days a week I use some gas. My HV range gauge is overly optimistic at 375 HV, so when it goes down, say 20 HV miles, I haven’t even gone 20 miles. I’d love to read how others are doing their calculations. (I still have original tank of gas).

10. Viking79

Start with full tank, when it switches to gas reset a trip meter. Calculate as usual when you fill using miles from trip meter. Also, observe cars calculation.

If HV charge mode is used have to run those miles off again to calculate accurately.

11. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

And it only easily works for longer trips. Not very handy for frequent short trips. I wish Honda had included this in the software package.

12. To remove this ad click here.