5 months road trip with the Fiat 500e

Discussion in 'General' started by EV-Travellers, Mar 6, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. We will soon start our 5 month EV road trip from Italy to Germany, The Netherlands, Northern England, Scotland, all Scottish Islands (like Orkney, Shetland etc.), Northern Ireland, Wales and Ireland. And back.

8000 miles. 10 countries. 192 photo spots. All electrical with the Fiat 500e.

We are very excited!

We already did a tour from Italy to the UK for a month last year (everything went very well) and this year we want to top that.

We want to show - the 500e is more than a shopping car!

But of course an EV driver on a road trip needs so much more preparation than with a conventional car. That's why I've opened a travel journal and although we're not on the road yet, I'm already posting important steps, tips and advice for preparation. How to plan, where to charge, which apps in which country etc.

Read/follow if interested:

https://findpenguins.com/ev-phototours/trip/ev-photo-tour-2023

I can't wait to start the journey!

What are your experiences? Do you already have a long EV road trip behind you?

Joana

andyG59 likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. That's a pretty ambitious trek. Best of luck to you and I hope it's all a wonderful experience.

andyG59 likes this.
  4. Thank you so much, Domenick!
    It will be a bit of an adventure, yes. Especially in remote places. But that is part of the fun, isn't it?

It won't be the first road trip with the 500e though, so I am optimistic ish... ;)

Joana

--------------------

Stay tuned and read our journal with real time tracking.
    EV PHOTO TOUR 2023 TRAVEL JOURNAL

Domenick likes this.
  5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I'm assuming this is the newer 500e and not the original? As someone who drives a shorter-range EV (MINI Cooper SE) I'm very sympathetic to the adventurousness of such a journey. Good travels!

Domenick likes this.
  6. Hi Puppethead,
    yes, that is true, it is the 2020 one with a 42kW battery (cabriolet).
    You can see it as my avatar.

How far can your Mini Cooper go?
    Joana

--------------------

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

My SE is rated by EPA at 110 miles US (or 140-145 mi/225-234 km WLTP), but I get a bit over 150 miles (242 km) per charge in the summer.

9. Not bad at all!
    I also think - a larger battery means more range but also more charging time until you have reached 80 - 90%. I prefer anyway shorter but more frequent stops (i.e. long distance). My back say thank you...

--------------------

Puppethead likes this.
  10. So cool @EV-Travellers ! In 2019 my wife and I took our small-ish battery 2017 Ford Focus Electric (FFE, 33 kWh battery maybe 28 kWh useable, 50 kW max CCS) from Florida to the northeast US, with a ride each way on the Amtrak Auto Train, so about 800 miles of our driving each direction. Then in 2021 I took a solo trip from Florida to Pennsylvania about 1300 miles. Last September we bought a 2021 Mach E California Route (FFE handed down to our grandson). Then last December I drove solo to North Carolina also almost 800 miles each direction and we are planning a 1,500 mile trip each direction this summer. Also as a side note my wife and I have similar approaches to trip planning and diet, and we drive Smart fortwo ED cabrio's for more local fun travel with 280 miles in a day (on Level 2 charging only) being my highest in a Smart. I will be following your posts. Best!

11. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences, Andy!
    We already did quite a few road trips - the longest was a bit more than 3,000 miles.
    This time we calculated 8,000 miles - but I think it will be much more because you cannot calculate those little trips back and forth while you are on the road...

Good luck for your 3,000 miles trip this summer! How is the charging situation in US?

And thank you for being interested in my travel journal.
    All the best, Joana

--------------------

andyG59 likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.