Tesla to actually open a portion of its US fast-charging network to other EVs

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Texas22Step, Feb 15, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Texas is a good first choice since they have the most robust electric grid that never has any problems.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Hehehe

4. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

Can't say that I know everything there is to know about the Texas power grid, but I can say that I have lived in various counties in North Texas, Central Texas and East Texas for over 40 years and, during that span, have experienced maybe a half dozen utility power outages and of those perhaps two that lasted over 2 hours. So, it turns out I agree with you, based on a lifetime of actual experience.

5. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

A December 2022 quote from a local Quebec publication:

"Power outages are on the rise and lasting longer and longer, reports Quebec's auditor general, concluding that the reliability of the service offered to the population by Hydro-Quebec leaves much to be desired, at a time when demand is constantly growing."

6. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Interesting development in Texas. If V2G also takes off we are going to have a global MOSFET shortage (somewhat like a semiconductor) in the years to come.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

Hmmm, 8 Tesla CCS locations in NY, 2 in CA.
    Do we have a guinea Mini pig?

Texas22Step and SameGuy like this.
  9. SameGuy

YUL
    “On the rise” compared to Quebec. I’ve been through one unplanned outage in the past year, lasting around four hours. We average around one unplanned outage every couple of years, almost universally due to extreme weather. Considering the sheer size and complexity of Quebec’s grid, with almost all HV and most MV lines above ground, it’s nothing short of remarkable reliability. Everything is relative. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

I’m live in Texas and find the power grid to be less reliable (as in my UPS’s kick in from time to time) than New York City which was less reliable than when I lived in London or even rural Wales.
    As for the $30 unlimited nightly charging, vs 15c per unit you’d need to be doing 1,000 miles per month on one charing to break even, and Texas rates tend to be lower than 15c so it may not be as good as it sounds.
    I get free power at night in my plan, and while I do pay more for daytime units I’d need to do the math to see if regular uninflated day rates plus the Tesla $30 would be worth it. My gut tells me most likely not…

SameGuy likes this.
  11. sacharama

sacharama Active Member

I checked it out this morning.

Simple straightforward process with the Tesla app.

As many have mentioned, the cable is short so I had to back all the way up in order to be able to plug it in.

It ramped up to 30 kWh pretty much instantaneously and hovered around 40's (probably capped at 50 kWh)

3 Tesla's, I mini (me) and a mustang mach-e here

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SameGuy

YUL
    Cool! What SC location?

14. trvale

trvale New Member

Were you able to see if the Mach-E was successfully charging? Seems like it might have a slightly worse charge port location compared to the Lightning. My wife drives a Mach-E and we are planning a long family road trip in it this summer. Hoping they begin opening up more along highway corridors by then. It would be so much easier if we could use SCs, at least as a backup.

15. KiwiRob

KiwiRob Member

All the V3 superchargers in Europe have CCS plugs.

I'm pretty sure the EU will regulate the position of the charging port on BEV's at some point in time.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
  16. KiwiRob

KiwiRob Member

How did Musk co-found Tesla, Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning founded Tesla in 2003, Musk didn't come on board until 2004.

17. sacharama

sacharama Active Member

At this SC location, there is one station that's on the side of the lot so the mach-e was able to park parallel to that station to reach the port without blocking the other stations.

18. sacharama

sacharama Active Member

There was a lawsuit/settlement that resulted the court rendering a judgement that allowed all the parties in the suit to name themselves co-founders. That's how.

As I pointed out above, my quote of musk has nothing to do with his title as co-founder, instead, I was merely trying to illustrate the possible reason why he (being in charge of Tesla now) decided to open up the superchargers to non Tesla vehicles with reference to the goal of promoting and facilitating sustainable transport to the market while generating profit and such.

19. KiwiRob

KiwiRob Member

In Europe Musk no choice, the EU said he had to open them, he was 2 years late, I believe the initial agreement was to have them opened by 2020.

20. sacharama

sacharama Active Member

21. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

Once a year it goes out here for a few hours and that’s because it was cut for a fire or similar. My area most transmission lines are buried which is odd for Montreal given how it’s all above ground next to trees.

when I was a kid growing up on the city someone had the great idea of planting trees on the same side as the power lines…

22. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

My friend lives in DDO, Durham and Shakespeare. He loses power one a week on his grid for various reasons but only his sector. He invested in a generator

SameGuy likes this.
  23. SameGuy

YUL
    Yup. The Auditor General is right to point out the rise in outages and aging of many system components, but to throw up a post about Quebec electricity reliability in a thread discussing Tesla's government-financed Supercharger access (that happened to tangentially mention Texas ironically) is laughable.