Phone calling itself

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by JustAnotherPoorDriver, Feb 18, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I use Android auto with my clarity and it works reasonably well. Occasionally though, when I plug in to the car, the Honda call app comes up on the center screen and tells me that it's in a call and the number it's calling is my phone's number (it's calling itself,). While in the call I can't use Android Auto. Annoying but I can usually just hang up and go on my merry way with Android Auto.

Thursday I got in the car to drive back from work and had that happen, but every time I hit "hang up" it just went right back to the call. The tablet refused to give me the reboot prompt even while holding the power button, and I ended up having to reboot my phone to get it out of that weird mode (and subsequently reboot the tablet).

Anyone have any clue? I'd love to not have this problem perhaps by unregistering the car Bluetooth with my phone, but my recollection is that every time I've unregistered my phone with the car, Android Auto no longer seems to work correctly.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Casey Martin

Casey Martin Active Member

Have you tried a different cable yet? I always recommend that first since I have seen many strange issues that were caused by a bad cable. Be sure to get a quality cable that is designed for data transfer not just charging.

If using another cable doesn't fix the issue reboot the radio. Hold down the power button for about 5 seconds and you will see the reboot option. Reboot your phone as well. Unfortunately I have to do this more often than I would prefer. I have issues with Android auto and my phone every so often. Usually a reboot of both corrects the issue. Not always unfortunately. Sometimes it won't correct itself until I get back in the car after letting it sit for some time.

If you still have the same issue I would then try disconnecting the 12v battery. You will need a 10mm socket to do that. Disconnect both terminals and bridge them together for about a minute using a metal bar or the socket wrench if it is all metal. Be very careful to not bridge the posts on the battery of course. Doing that is basically a "hard reset" for the car. You will get a bunch of warning lights when you start it but they will go away after a short drive.

If nothing else works I would try another Android phone just to see if it does the same thing.

4. Daniel M W

Daniel M W Member

I have experienced the same problem several times, and that occurs mostly when I receive a call over an app different than the actual phone (e.g. Whatsapp, Skype, FB messenger, etc.) or when I jump in the car while on a call and the call is transferred to the car (now what I do is hung up the call before turning on the car and call again when the car is connected to prevent this from happening).

I have never been able to solve it, and as mentioned this puts the car tablet into an endless cycle where the only way to break it is to reboot both phone and car tablet (by long pressing the power button). This happened with both my wife's and my phone.

5. Geor99

Geor99 Active Member

You are probably going to think "thanks for nothing, you gave me no useful information:)

After owning the car for a year, this began to happen to me. After about a month, it stopped and hasn't done it a single time in 3 years or so.

I didn't change the phone charging cable, change my phone, nor do anything with the car's software. My phone may have automatically updated its software, but I dont remember that.

If I recall correctly, it would say something like 100011 on the display when calling itself. Those numbers didn't mean anything to me when it happened.

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Thanks for something! Even if you didn't do anything yourself to get your phone hooked up, its still good to read about others' experiences with these kinds of problems. Your experience, if nothing else, provides hope.

However, your experience reminded me of the ominous warning an early version Microsoft Word occassionally displayed:
    upload_2023-3-10_16-5-33.png

Daniel M W likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.