TACC and Autosteer Features

Discussion in 'Model Y' started by Fidzio, Jan 24, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Fidzio

Fidzio Member

I’ve had a Model Y for just over a month and noticed some interesting (to me) features. I don’t have FSD but I’ve seen the TACC (adaptive cruise) speed varies with the posted speed limit. This is a little disconcerting especially on highways when the traffic is flowing smoothly at 120km/hr (yes I’m in Canada) and the adaptive cruise speed suddenly changes to 100 or 90km/hr and I need to press the accelerator to once again keep up with the traffic flow.
    A second thing is that the autosteer won’t engage at a speed exceeding 10km/hr above the posted speed limit. This is obviously good for safety but if you are driving with TACC on and you engage autosteer, the car immediately slows to the speed limit plus 10km/hr.

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

You can adjust how much faster than the posted speed limit you want to use. I'm happy with +5 mph. Also use the "set current speed" option as it makes staying in the traffic crowd much easier.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

4. Fidzio

Fidzio Member

Thanks Bob, I set the TACC to "set to current speed" as suggested and that helps my sanity. I also silenced the TACC chime. Do you know if there is a way to silence the auto steer chime as well. The best I could do is select "Joe Mode" to quiet the chimes but the warnings which sometimes try to correct my lane drifts are still loud. Thanks John

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. Fidzio

Fidzio Member

I'm also a little frustrated by the auto wipers which wipe a clean (ish?) windshield when I enable autosteer on the highway and I can't switch them off, even though the windshield appears perfectly clean. Any ideas? Thanks

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I don't have a universal solution but suggest:
    • When humid and cold use the AC on the windshield to evaporate any fog on the glass and cameras.
    • Some rain/water repelling coatings can distort the glass enough to trigger false rain indication.
    • Throughly clean the glass in front of the cameras with a quality glass cleaner.
    Bob Wilson

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Fidzio

Fidzio Member

Thanks Bob. I also heard from a friend who has a model 3 that sometimes the windshield in front of the camera becomes dirty and may trigger random windshield wiper movement on a dry day especially when passing under street lights. He took his M3 to Tesla and they removed the camera cover and cleaned the inside of the windshield and this problem went away.