2021 Kona EV with Battery problems

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Veit Weber, Feb 10, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Veit Weber

Veit Weber New Member

Sept. 16.2022 my 11 month old Kona EV stopped working.
    Got it towed to the dealer.
    After many emails and phoncalls, the only 2 options the dealer offered :
    1. Rental of a gas car
    I have to pay for the gas plus for the suggested full coverage of insurance.
    ( since I have a large Solar system, I always charged for fee so I had no cost)
    2. I drive my old RAF 4 Hyundai will pay for the gas, not mileage!
    I chose the 2 option.
    Keeping all my receipts.
    In Oct.2022 the dealer told me the new battery will be in Jan.2023.
    In Jan.they called it will be
    March 2023....
    I started my complaining calls and emails again to the dealer and Hyundai Canada, no further support. My final email to them was, that if they are not offering me a better deal, I will then start sharing my terrible Hyundai EV story with all the various Media's.
    I got a call from the dealer 3 days ago, that Hyundai will take back my 2021 car and will give me a new 2023 Kona EV Preffered.
    I do have to wave my gasmoney deal with them, which I am willing to do.
    6 month of RAF 4 driving 12.000km more on the old car and about $ 2000.00 on gas.
    But receiving a new 2023 , by mid March 2023, I think it is still a fair and good deal.
    After a lot of struggle and headaches , finally a good outcome...

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Congratulations...It is a shame it took such an effort on your part to achieve a solution. Hope the new one works better for you. Reset the clock for the 3 year cooling fluid replacement maintenance. :) Was your 21 MY a preferred as well?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
  4. Veit Weber

Veit Weber New Member

Yes my 2021 was also a Preferred Model.

5. I'm beginning to suspect Hyundai/KIA don't have parts to repair EVs.

6. Veit Weber

Veit Weber New Member

Exactly, as I said at first the estimated arrival for the new Battery was Jan 2023, then March and I am sure in March I would have received another call moving it to May or June.
    Fortunately they finally honored proper custermet service and are replacing my car. That act is moving Hyundai back up on my rankings....

R P likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Wow, that is pretty impressive, a brand new car that is 2 model years newer! Better than a buyback where you might have to pay more for a new equivalent car, not to mention then having to wait for it.

electriceddy likes this.
  9. Veit Weber

Veit Weber New Member

Yes, if they hold to their promis to deliver the new car by mid March....
    I hope that that is true.....

10. Veit Weber

Veit Weber New Member

Also keep in mind I bought mine end of Oct 2021, drove it 11 month 19,000km when it broke down...