Service Action - Software Update Required?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by methorian, Feb 10, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

Anyone have info on a Service Action/Software Update on their SE?

I've got a '23 SE I purchased in July of '22 and the dealership just called to schedule a service visit to get some software updated due to a service bulletin.

Problem is, I live about 4 hours away from the dealership. There's no Mini dealerships close to me, and two about that distance away so I chose that one. I actually have had some other complaints I'd been ignoring because I'm not sure how in the heck I'd schedule things to be able to make it for an appointment. I knew this going into the purchase and hoping it doesn't bite me in the tail.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    It’s the first I’ve heard of it. Maybe call them back and get more details of the TSB. It would be a real bummer for you to schedule it and drive four hours, only to find out that it was just a marketing ploy to get you in for an unneeded inspection (at extra cost). Mine is a '23 ordered in March, '22 and delivered last August.

4. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Probably the 3G sunset update so your telematics will work properly. It does wipe out most of the basic coding as well.

I did mine back in December and insightman did his awhile back.

BMW i4/iX had the recall for acoustic pedestrian warning not working but I don't think it's for the MINI SE.

5. methorian

methorian Well-Known Member

My telematics/remote functions work fine and it's a 2023, so surely no 3G on-board?

I'll give them a ring back at some point to clarify.

6. teslarati97

I think it's a 3G/4G combo, but they would like to disable the 3G for optimal performance - I think back in the day with the 2014 i3 they had a 2G sunset update.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

I had a recent update on my 22. All my presets and many of the settings were gone. I thought those were backed up onto the key fob or something. At the very least they could have restored the settings somehow. It seems like there must be some leave of importance if they are calling you in for it. I’d call and ask.

Also it’s 2023. All cars should have OTA updates or they should compensate your time.

carrrl likes this.
  9. Torrey

Torrey Active Member

Let me know what they say. They left me a voicemail this morning for my '23

10. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

Just FYI for anyone else going in for service and worried about this: you can export/import driver profiles yourself with a USB stick.

CuriousGeorge likes this.
  11. fishbert

Hmm...
    Maybe OP can verify with their dealer this is what they're calling about?
    [source]

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

However, Bimmercode changes also go away and they can't be saved on a USB stick, right?

14. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

You also lose navigation destinations, preset stations, quick key settings. It wipes a lot of stuff.

15. fishbert

That’s a completely different animal from driver profiles, and not something anyone should be expecting are backed up to the key fob or that the service department will be backing up and restoring for them.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
  16. fishbert

From the manual on driver profiles:

The settings, for instance for the following systems and functions, are stored in the active profile. The scope of storable settings depends on country and equipment.​
    • Unlocking and locking.
    • Lights.
    • Radio.
    • Instrument cluster.
    • Programmable memory buttons.
    • Volumes, sound.
    • Control Display.
    • Climate control.
    • Navigation.
    • Rearview camera.
    • Head-up Display.
    • MINI Driving Modes.
    • Intelligent Safety.

insightman likes this.
  17. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

If these things can be backed up on a USB stick, it’s pretty poor customer service for the dealer not to do that, especially when you go in for something else and they just update it. I’ll remember that when the Mini survey comes in the email.

ColdCase and carrrl like this.
  18. teslarati97

Yes they go away. I had to recode AM radio and the disable seatbelt warnings so the climate controls stay on even after opening the door (no seatbelt accessory required).

19. SameGuy

YUL
    I forget, is there a way to email myself a text file of the BimmerCode changes?

20. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

Some manufactures are a bit wary on OTA for major updates or flashes. Fear of getting bricked. They want it done at the dealer with a power supply hooked up etc

21. LittleWoods

LittleWoods Active Member

If that ends up being the issue, it's not something I would bother getting updated.

22. MRYFLYGUY

MRYFLYGUY Active Member

I'd like to see the TSB before considering the update. I actually had Audi remove a service bulletin update on my R8 because it caused misfire problems that were not there before. I had a hell of a time proving it but when more complaints started being received, finally created a TSB to remove the previous update! Dealers are required to install safety recall actions but nothing requires you to install TSBs, you can always refuse it!

Yes there is. If the ECU settings are flashed/initialized (OBDEleven updates in my VW did not get initialized), you'll need to repeat the BimmerCode coding.

Cheers!

23. SameGuy

YUL
    Huh. I’m unable to find this. I see all my backups, but it’s my understanding that if the dealership flashes the VO with an update, these backups aren’t able to be applied and I’ll need to code manually again. I haven’t made any changes since August, and I’d like to know what I did so I can do the manual coding again if the dealership does wipe them all.

insightman likes this.