Google maps

Discussion in 'General' started by pictsidhe, Jan 29, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

Has anyone had good luck using google maps to find chargers?
    I can only get it to show them by using search along route. But I have yet to hit on a good search term.
    "EV charging" being the best so far.
    Would love to search for "CCS" etc, but zero hits in my state...

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Have to say "CCS Charging Stations," when searching.

However if you use the Google Maps App on Android or iPhone they have a more powerful filter you can use rather than the one on your PC.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Plugshare solves the problem. You can filter on type as well as charging network.

Bob Wilson

5. pictsidhe

That doesn't work. Nearest station maps finds with that term is 100 miles in the wrong direction. There are chargers sort of on the way.

I am trying to use it on my android, how, exactly, do I access it? There surely should be some easy to use way to find ev chargers?

6. pictsidhe

But plug share can't plan a route on android. I'd like to be able to work out a route when I'm not at home. Useful feature for travelling...

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

ABRP (or A Better Route Planner) is better at route planning. It is pretty configurable. To get sensible results, make sure you tell it what kind of car you have, and set your departure SOC and desired arrival SOC.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  9. bwilson4web

I use the Plugshare 'trip planning' feature frequently. Although limited to 1200 pixel wide monitors, the iPhone App works just fine.

I prefer Plugshare over 'A Better Route Planner' (ABRP) because I can mix superchargers, L2 chargers, and even NEMA 14-50 or similar outlets in my trips. For example, I like to find motels with free charging or even RV parks along the way. Motels give a good nights sleep, free breakfast, and leave with 100% free charged battery. RV parks are about 1/4th the cost of a motel. I have also planned 'hybrid' trips where a 30 minute L2 session gives enough range between Superchargers to bridge the gap or avoid diversion to Supercharger overhead. But I am not skilled with ABRP and I have not found a way to get these trip planning options.

Plugshare is more basic than ABRP and has a learning curve too. For example, it shows Superchargers on the route that are not part of the plan. As a workaround, I change the charger plug filters to something rare, like the original Tesla charger and filter out the Superchargers to get a clean route plot.

Bob Wilson

10. pictsidhe

Plugshare works pretty well on a PC. I'd like a mobile version...
    Android google maps works pretty well, but it'***** or miss to find chargers with it. Chargers show up according to which search term I use. I really, really want to just add enroute CCS etc type chargers. I usually put a route in Google maps, then open plugshare to look for chargers that look about right, then manually add into my maps route. It's really tedious. The navigation in my car is unaware of many chargers.
    I have stretched a DC charging leg with a 20 minute zap and zip at a j1772.

11. There is a Plugshare app.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. pictsidhe

Yes, but you can't plan routes on it more complex than A to B. The Google maps app can, but it's awful for finding charging stations.

14. bwilson4web

Using my iPhone, I just planned a trip from Huntsville AL to Oklahoma City OK with multiple charging stops. The only things missing were the adjustable range circle and off route to a charger distance setting.

IOS: 15.7.2
    Plugshare: 6.22.0 (one week ago)

Bob Wilson

Nebula likes this.
  15. pictsidhe

This is not possible with the android app.

bwilson4web likes this.