Advice before I buy, please

Discussion in 'Bolt EV' started by Fotoguzzi, Feb 4, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I’m seriously considering a 2020 Bolt LT. in fact I’m probably going to buy it.
    But I’d like to get a few answers. It’s a 2020 but not delivered until Jan 2021 so the battery recall is a ways off, right?
    It only has 5,000 miles. Cloth interior, New it cost $36,820 ( I think a comparable base model 2023 is more like around $30k but I’m told the wait is up to a year if ordered now)…plus it does have a few options like DC fast charging ($750)comfort and convenience pkg ($555), driver confidence ($495), and driver confidence 2 (495)
    And blue metallic paint ($395, wow) so just over $40,000 new. Clean car fax..
    I can get it for less than $30k, good deal?
    Is there any guess as to when they will get to this cars recall?
    It has the software update, what is the realistic range in this condition?
    What other facts do I need to know? Anything to worry about?
    I will be keeping one of our Subaru Foresters for my wife and me in winter when overly cold or snowy.
    Thanks for your reply’s.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. rgmichel

rgmichel Active Member

I don't see any issues at all. Sounds good to me.I don't understand your second sentence. What do you mean by "battery recall is a ways off"? If it has a recall, its either been done, or needs to be done. Have it done if it has not been done, as its free. If it does not have a recall then you don't need it, and you don't need to worry about it. If it is going to get a recall, then it will come in time, and you should do it, as its free. I don't see an issue there at all. The recall procedures are simple and painless.

Realistic range depends a lot on your driving habits. It is what it is. Best in summer when its warm, worst in winter when its cold.

My Bolt EV, with the replaced battery and official range of 259 miles does that in the summer, but if you drive it hard with the air on and so on, its going to be 220-230 miles. In the winter I get 180-200 miles in Connecticut depending on the heat I use. On really cold days and lots of heating, then it can be as low as 150-160 miles range. I generally only charge to 88%, called "hilltop reserve" on my 2017, and then I have a range of about 20 miles less. Unless you are driving round trips more than 120-150 miles in winter I don't see any issues just charging at home. In summer round trips 200-220 charging at home is easy. You will only use fast charging on long trips of 400-450 miles per day, which I have done many times with no problems in the summer. Never done it in winter.

4. Hey thanks for the great reply. By way off I mean the recalls are done by vin number order as I understand so all cars older than this get done first. I was told you can’t jump the line and have to wait for Chevy to notify you. That’s ok with me I guess it will just give me more warranty, the 8 year warranty on the battery starts new when the recall gets done. I’m told. I checked the vin with Chevrolet and as of now it says, “
    “Recall Status: Incomplete. Remedy not available”
    I Take that to mean I’m in line but not close enough to have a time set.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  5. Interesting read, I’ll consider that.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

I wouldn't pay that much for the car. Keep looking for one priced at below the $25,000 tax credit limit.

8. Why? All the cars in that category have 30-40,000 miles, this one has 5,000. And I don’t owe enough taxes to benefit from the tax credit anyway. I’m on a fixed income and don’t owe any taxes at the end of year.

9. I have been considering a used Bolt as well. Like you I'm retired and don't put a lot of miles on. Mostly local runs. I do not consider 30-40k miles to be very high at all. Especially if your a low miles person. I have not purchased a new car in 40yrs. Always purchase in the 30-60k mile range and have had good luck. These Bolts should be good for 150-200k miles. Good luck.

10. marshall

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  11. To remove this ad click here.

12. Thanks Marshall, the one in WBL has the same options as what I’m looking at for $400 less and 15k higher miles. I do like the guarantee however I think the seller that I’ve been working with offers that too. My seller has a stellar record and reviews so not too worried about that. I’m not too jazzed about the black or charcoal color. So the difference in the two is about a wash, $400 less for higher miles and color I like less. Not saying you’re wrong but I’m pretty comfortable with the deal I’m considering.
    As far as the other cars listed none of them is less money if the shipping and options (that my choice has) are factored in. I need the heated seats being in Minnesota, I’d prefer leather but those listed are at least a few hundred dollars more.

almost green, yes I’m retired but I drive at least 200 miles a week, hundred miles every Saturday to visit mom (98yo) and 20/day going to the off leash park with my dogs. Then there is any other trips around town and taking my wife where ever she wants to go.

I appreciate all the advice. I’m still on the fence about giving up my Forester, it has all the options and has been a great car however it’s aging faster than it used to be. And I’m pretty sick of going the gas station every week.

13. marshall

I would widen my search. You should be able to have it shipped to you for under a thousand dollars.

Anyhow, it's your money to do what you wish. I just don't think the used Bolt is worth more than $26,000.

Plus, you don't get the free normal L2 installation that comes when buying a new Bolt. That's probably worth a thousand bucks.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
  14. Marshall and others,
    The L2 install not a big deal for me, I already have 240v in garage and my power company (Xcel) has a program to cover the install. BUT, I’m pretty close to deciding to wait for my new car order instead af buying used. They say delivery should be in April some time.
    Thanks all.

15. Does anyone know the true timeframe on new Bolt deliveries?

16. My order has not even been picked up from the dealer yet, it’s been sitting there for over a month. I’m tired of the waiting game with no definitive answers on when (or if?) they plan to build it. So long Bolt, I’m getting a Tesla next Wednesday. For a really nice deal a way better car after all the research I’ve done, the slightly higher expense is justified for a superior car.