Rumble in regen mode at highway speeds

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Charged_Up, Feb 1, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Charged_Up

Charged_Up Member

My 2019 Clarity touring makes a rumble/vibrating noise when I use the deceleration paddles or brakes at highway speeds. It does not make the noise slower speeds. The noise is similar weather in EV or HV mode.

There is no vibration transmitted to the steering wheel like you would feel with a warped rotor.

The car seems to operate in a completely normal way other then the rumble. Does anyone else have a similar issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

A bad wheel bearing can make a rumbling sound and it it is not unusual for the sound to be speed dependent. Your description is not totally consistent but I could imagine that deceleration (brakes use regeneration just like the paddles) may also affect the sound of a bad bearing because the torque applied changes the bearing load conditions.

David Towle likes this.
  4. ClarityBill

ClarityBill Active Member

I do remember being worried about a noise that seemed to be a drive component, but I have only replaced rotors and a wheel bearing so far. The noise was solved.

I don't remember which one caused me concern for the drive system, but I would confirm that your noise might be a normal wear item.

Good luck?