What did you do to your MINI today?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by SameGuy, Oct 4, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

Ha! Wink wink

Broke down and ordered a Grizzl E EVSE. Wife approved it. Only because she doesn’t want to break the bmw unit and be stuck paying some insane price for lease return

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrSnrub

3932F764-E513-4230-9F39-1BBC7AFA0D44.jpeg Home Depot this am near me downtown MTL. Had a chat with the Smart car

SameGuy and MichaelC like this.
  4. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Beware bad shopping trolley pushers!

Have you tried the ChargePoint L2 stations at IKEA yet? I’ve attempted three different times with three different dispensers and they all refuse to work with my car, though other cars are happily charging there all the time. I’ve had zero issue with ChargePoint dispensers elsewhere (Vaudreuil, BMW WI, etc).

5. MrSnrub

I’ve not been to ikea in ages. Mostly charge at home or the CE ones

6. MrSnrub

Setup installed

0B7CF55C-8365-471E-A830-686266581465.jpeg BE6B6429-5076-4A66-94B9-B990DB2B98F5.jpeg

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

I finally bit the bullet and got a subscription to the Oxford English Dictionary to aid me in my quest for a vanity license plate.

traffic rotary is a North American term for roundabout (as you all noted). It was first used in 1915 by Werner Hegemann in his "Report on a city plan for the municipalities of Oakland & Berkeley." In contrast, roundabout was first used in this context in 1926 in The Times (London); the author suggested using roundabout instead of gyratory. Gyratory itself was first used in 1909.

9. MrSnrub

I think I’ll slide a piece of drywall behind everything so there is some “fire proofing” and I’ll still have a solid mounting for the stuff

SameGuy likes this.
  10. SameGuy

YUL
    In a former life I was a custom home electronics installer. I didn’t do TVs or audio (I was a bit more specialized), but the guys at the Audio Centre (the high-end AV retailer to which I was most often subcontracted) occasionally got called out by the general contractors’ compliance guys for cutting out the drywall behind wall-mounted TVs (plasmas until LCDs got much better) and screwing in squares of ¾” plywood to secure the mounting brackets.

11. MrSnrub

Oh the days of the audio centre. With locations in Montreal and Ottawa. Didn’t the owner get sick and close up years ago?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SameGuy

YUL
    Yeah but a long time after I packed it in, sold my VW Transporter and special tools, and went to work for the Man. Most of the professional installers and successful salespeople went out on their own or partnered with other high-end places, while the sihttier salesdweebs and techs went to work at BMW dealerships :cool:

14. endquote

endquote Active Member

Just hit a year (5k miles) with the car. As with most things in life recently (home ownership, dog parenting), I've been making mistakes as I learn to care for things. With the car it's been some light curb rash (parking more carefully now), paint swirls due to poor washing (despite watching so much youtube about it), and a scratch on the left front fender (that one's not my fault).

Took her to my little local detail shop for "paint correction", got charged extra for having a black car and I could barely perceive any improvement on the paint. Very upset.

Got a referral to a better place 20mi away who did a proper detail, paint correction, and applied the ceramic coating that I should have done a year ago. Also improved the wheels somewhat. This was $$$ on top of the first detail and the rideshares I had to get in order to leave it at the shop to cure overnight.

Now the car is looking pretty good -- I can perceive imperfections but no one else would. And good timing now that the three weeks of record rain in the area have passed.

Need to put a little air in the tires today too. The air compressor at my nearest gas station has had an out of order sign on it for a month.

15. While out and about today - not paying attention - I ran up against a curb and inflicted some road rash on my right from wheel :^( Fortunately it is not to bad and should be easily repairable - it's just the first damage to my new SE.

16. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

I feel this one. Over nearly 10 years my dog has never and will never be allowed to jump into the back of the car (he's just too low and long.) Always lifted up every single time in every car.

Of course he decides a few weeks ago he's feeling wild, going to try it in front of the vets office, and fails spectacularly in front of everyone. He's fine, but my bumper now has about 16 claw marks in it... Mostly clear coat damage, but come on man! Vet bill is one thing, can't imagine what the correction will be.

endquote likes this.
  17. SameGuy

YUL
    Ouch. Glad the dog is ok, but I feel for you.

18. endquote

endquote Active Member

A few different bumper products have come up on here -- from PPF to big rubber things.

My (27lb) dog gets in the back seat, and as a result there are some scratches on the running board and rear cupholder area. I have a full seat cover from Covercraft that works well. However it was extra expensive since I tried to by something cheaper at first but wasn't satisfied with it.

19. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

There's also something like the CanvasBack liner, which has an optional bumper flap. I have the full kit and it works great as protection from my dogs, although it makes the back a bit slippery for them. I solved that by adding an EVA foam pad on top.

20. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

you might consider a pet ramp, such as:

https://www.weathertech.com/petramp/?utm_source=BingAds&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=PLA%20-%20Catch%20All&msclkid=a1a8707ccb081ca6146113b3c37ba114

21. carrrl

carrrl Active Member

22. SameGuy

YUL
    Temperature soared to 3°C (37°F) and both our cars had a stucco of sand and grit on them from driving in the last couple of snow storms, so I whipped out the pressure washer, MTM foam cannon, CG Honeydew, and the buckets, and quickly got both cleaned up. Only snapped a couple of pics under the foam, then had to work fast — it was starting to snow! Honeydew seems to run a bit thinner than CarPro Hydrofoam or Reset, but for a heavy maintenance wash of daily drivers that see salt and snow every day, those are a bit precious to waste. Pressure washed with water before foaming, a minute of dwell, then a hyper-speed 2BM wash with [I forget which of the soaps I have].

058BE293-C3BD-47C7-B5CD-E91C66F3DFB5.jpeg 5174DCBC-3319-4AF4-8AB6-CD81A520D486.jpeg

I might try Bilt Hamber Autofoam next time they get this dirty, but overall the Honeydew worked well.

MichaelC likes this.
  23. KiwiRob

KiwiRob Member

our 60kg dog is way to big to fit in the Mini.