Run Flat Tires

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Tommm, Jan 26, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

I think I read here that some buyers get run flat tires from the factory. If that is the case, does anyone know how to see if other parts of the suspension are different? I believe it was TC Kline who wrote a long article on the 1 series suspension, and modifications he made to get the most out of the car with performance tires. He noted that the rear subframe bushings were way too soft for non run flat tires. I added stiffeners to my rear subframe when I put the M3 control arms etc. in the car and went from run flats to regular tires.

I am giving serious thought to replacing the Goodyear F1s with run flat tires, and am wondering what else would be involved if I want to do it right?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I don't believe any North American MINI Cooper SEs came with run-flat tires. Would you put on softer shocks?

4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I'd think the suspension on the SE is likely adequate to deal with the extra weight of the batteries. And considering all MINIs (except the SE) come with runflats now, I doubt MINI put lighter suspension on the SE instead of using existing components. That doesn't mean some might feel an upgrade is desired, along the lines of JCW upgrades people do to their non-JCW MINIs.

5. EricJ

EricJ New Member

RealOEM has the parts diagrams from BMW. They are not quite current, but new enough to have the SE. I don't see any difference in bushings (in fact, we have an X1 with the same suspension arms as some MINIs), but didn't look that hard.

On that X1, ditching the run flats transformed it--smoother, quieter and better handling, with just some all-season replacements. A friend reports the same on his X3. I don't see why BMW is so fond of the things...

6. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

In Germany you cannot change your tire on the Autobahn but aside from that, I guess it was for the weight savings/balance with the lack of a spare tire.

I'm personally indifferent to run-flats for general day to day driving, but I've only used the low profile RFT varieties with exception to Nokian Hakka 8 studded RFT...never owned a SUV with run-flats so I have no idea on that.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

in the 1 series it was the bushing for the rear subframe. The ones that came with the runflats were soft to offset the stiffness from the sidewalls. Remember the delivery vans or busses with the driver seat on springs? When TC Kline worked on the 1,he noticed the rear as not behaving properly. He isolated the problem to be from the soft rear subframe bushings.

My spare is in the trunk. There is no well, or place for a spare. Just like in a Cooper S/SE.

I am one of those fools that has a habit of getting wider tires, lowering and stiffening the suspension under the belief I am improving the car. That backfired when in '04 I bought a manual, no T Top 93 Z28 with Doug Rippie tuned Bilsteins and a lot of other suspension work. My wife wouldn't ride in the car for more than 25 minutes. A trip from NY to Cinci/Covington and back in a week sealed the fate for that car even though it was amazing at the autocross.

I want all seasons on the car, and am thinking run flats for peace of mind. With the battery range, anywhere I go without a charge will get me back home.

9. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

There's a lot to be said for that, and I've used all-season runflats on all of my other MINIs. But since the SE came with performance summer tires I chose to embrace them, and went to performance winter tires to maximize range because I knew I'd be taking a range hit in winter temperatures. Aside from whatever range penalty runflats have, I think the only downside is the noise factor. The SE is such a quiet-running car that runflats might be extremely audible.

10. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I believe that most of the road noise I hear is pavement related. I don't perceive any difference between my summer tires and my winter tires (neither run-flats).

11. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

I had Pirelli runflat tires that are OEM for the Cooper S for a while on my SE and now have Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus tires. The runflat tires are louder and it might be a tiny bit stiffer but not much.

Nothing else is needed to install those tires but I wouldn't do it. I greatly prefer non-runflat tires. There is less noise, more grip, and better handling from these Continental tires.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. CrazyLegs17

CrazyLegs17 New Member

I bought my SE used and the dealership replaced the OEM tires with run flats, for what it's worth.

14. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Thats what I have with the 1er. got rid of the runflats, have a few sets of high perf tires (R comps too). I have too many sets of winter/summer tires wheels.
    My Cayman 2 sets
    My 128i 4 sets
    Daughter's Base Cooper 2 sets - may get Rs
    Wifes XC 90 2 sets
    Electric - Trying to keep it one set

I prefer them too. spent $$$ on the 128i suspension to get rid of them. 128i has been down for a few weeks (small leak in radiator, big leak in new replacement, waiting for next to arrive) and I've been driving the SE with summer tires in sub 32F weather with snow too.

15. DJCoopster

DJCoopster Well-Known Member

16. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

In Europe (where our SEs are assembled), the Cinturato P7C2 is available in both runflat and non-runflat for our size. The runflat version has the RSC mark on it:
    RSC-mark.png
    @DJCoopster - do your P7s have the RSC symbol on their sidewalls?

insightman likes this.
  17. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

Have you come across anyone who has actually found factory run flat tyres on a US SE?
    Prove us wrong, with a photo of your sidewall markings. You are looking for 'RSC' or 'runflat'

Back to the OP. Going the other way, ICE mini owners with 17" and especially 18" wheels usually find their ride much improved by non runflats.
    There are not many differences between SE and the everythingelses. The SE has different springs. Needed for the different weight and ride height. The subframes are unique, they are not swappable unless you convert to ICE...
    Shock absorbers are also unique to the SE. I am pretty sure they are slightly longer.
    Bushes and arms are shared.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    insightman likes this.
  18. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

N=1 and all, but as best as I can tell from the pictures I have received, the P7s on my new-to-me car are not run flats (2023 model built in May of 2022)

19. DJCoopster

DJCoopster Well-Known Member

I will retract my statement. I was thinking it was the embedded star but that's BMW approved, right?

I do need to pull the right rear to spray it and see why I am losing 1-2psi/day before I take it to get patched. I'll take another look, but probably not run-flat.

Honestly, I don't pay much attention to these threads and just glance at them. Sorry.

MichaelC likes this.
  20. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Mine do have a star. I have been wondering what it might signify.

Attached Files:

21. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

Yes, the star indicates it is BMW-approved as an OEM tire.

No worries! :)

22. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

The star indicates it is a BMW/Mini version of a tyre.
    There are often many different versions of any given tyre model.
    Hankook have 4 different Ventus Prime 3 in my size.
    This is about average. Michelin seem to have the most versions of each of their tyres.
    Runflats are usually signified by a 3 letter code, which naturally varies between manufactures...

insightman likes this.
  23. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

I don't think the US cars come with run flats. That's why I threw the question out here. I think other countries come with run flats. After I confirm that, I want to compare the difference.

I went from run flats on my 1 series, and had to change bushings for autocross/track handling purposes. I dont plan on autocrossing the SE with run flats. My question is about street driving. Are there two "different" suspensions (probably bushings) for SEs with run flats vs conventional tires?