Driving Modes and Impact on Battery

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by David Comstock, Oct 7, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Yes, I believe in North America it’s only available with ACC, but as far as I know in the rest of the world even the regular cruise control comes with a limiter as standard. It’s basically a user-settable governor. Just get to the speed you wish to be the limit, then hit the LIM button and it sets that as the maximum speed, while you retain full control of the pedal. The limit can be overridden by planting the pedal (in case of urgent necessity). The LIM speed can also be adjusted with the up and down buttons, just like setting the cruise control speed.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. endquote

endquote Active Member

I see -- I think that's the one button I haven't messed with, ok maybe two if you count traction control. Will experiment.

4. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

My 2022 has it even with dumb cruise control. I never thought I'd use it, but it's great for driving on base where the limit is only 30 or 35 and the roads are straight and boring. I like that I can set a max speed and not have to constantly check the speedo.

SameGuy likes this.
  5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The 2021 models were not equipped with a limiter function. It may have been new to all MINI models with 2022.

6. Torrey

Torrey Active Member

It is on my base ‘23. I think the best description I have heard is the LIM is the inverse of the cruise control. In CC you set a minimum speed that the car won’t go under even if you take your foot off the accelerator. You can go faster if you want and you can override by using the brake pedal. With the limiter you set a max speed that the car won’t exceed even if you ask for more power. You can override it by pressing the accelerator to the floor. In both cases you can adjust the set speed with the buttons.

endquote likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SameGuy

YUL
    That was also me. :cool:

3D619C5E-C2CD-4ADC-B6A4-33B9B75AE9B9.jpeg

9. CamFG

CamFG New Member

I use the Speed Limiter function all the time, perhaps more so than the cruise control. It's particularly useful (at least here in the UK) on busy roads in city & motorway driving, where you don't want to exceed the limit whilst enjoying the ever-growing number of 'average speed check' camera systems used by authorities.

SameGuy likes this.
  10. SameGuy

YUL
    First real cold weather drive today. Started out at -11°C (~-8.6°F) and it ranged between -8° and -16°C (17° and 3°F) over the ride. A little less freeway today, stuck to the back roads and highways except for a 10 mile freeway stretch to get from my part of town to the bridge off the island towards the border. Stayed at speed limits almost the entire time, only a couple of “matted pedal” passes.

Jan 31, 2023 at 12:42
    ** -8.21 °C
    ** Wind: 12.38 km/h from NW
    ** Humidity: 0.52%
    ** Driven: 119 Km
    ** Start-Batt: 100%
    ** End-Batt: 27%
    ** Km / kWh: 5.64
    ** GOM Reading: 40 Km
    ** Calculated Range Left: 44.01 Km
    ** Total Range (From 100% charge): 163.01 Km
    ** Total Range (From 100% charge): 162.996 Km

Pretty chuffed overall, though I know a 70 mph run on the freeway would likely yield closer to the typical 30%-lower-than-EPA numbers.

MichaelC and Puppethead like this.
  11. SameGuy

YUL
    Yarp. Used the limiter more than ACC today — it seems to hold the e-power needle steadier at below-motorway speeds. Also, ACC really hates low winter sun (and salt streaks on the windscreen).

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Speaking of winter driving, the folks at TFLEV still don't know how to set a departure time on the MINI (and BMW EVs) to get the E-Power to 100%.

TFLEV
    Folks, there is no way to pre condition the battery on a Cooper SE. It is possible to warm the cabin, but not the battery with a user specified control

14. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

That video seemed a bit dramatic (not in fact that big of a deal) but I always have a departure time set after work and still have had limited power thanks to an all day cold soak at -1F to 4F

15. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Never tried the departure time without being plugged into an EVSE, but at -4F I had 100% e-power.

16. SameGuy

YUL
    Forecast is -13°F tomorrow right around the time I’m driving my MIL 15 miles each way for an important medical appointment. Car will be around 40° in the garage and I’ll precon for 15, but I’ll be using some climatization while waiting, I’m hoping that’ll keep the battery from cold soaking for those ~90 minutes (though I expect the price for 90 minutes of comfort will be around 25% of the charge).