Cosmoline (Clear/White/Yellow "Grease") Staining Wheel Arches?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by methorian, Jul 13, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

No

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I did some looking around under my hood and couldn't come up with anything, do we know where the cosmoline is coming from? Before I take any serious steps to remove it, I'd like to know that I have stopped any future occurrence.

4. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I’m thinking a Tornador with APC could get rid of the stains. If you know someone with any Tornador model, or a local mobile detailer with one, it’d be worth a shot. Or if you’re willing to drive up to a drab suburb in French Canada lol…

5. SameGuy

YUL
    The TSB is posted elsewhere, but basically they heat up the part where excess Cosmoline lives (usually the hood, after it’s removed), drain out all they can, clean out the cavity and allow it to dry, then reapply the correct amount.

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

And here I thought the only benefit of replacing my hood was getting rid of the fake hood scoop!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

FWIW I had the same issue on my Signature base 2023 SE, brought it up to the dealer when in for warranty service today (defective side-scuttle), and they're ordering me new wheel arches from Germany as of today, 11/29/2022.

insightman likes this.
  9. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

If you have OEM mud flaps make sure they order those as well. The originals are stuck to the flares with adhesive and need to be changed at the same time. I had to go back twice because they originally did not order the mud flaps.

MichaelC likes this.
  10. SameGuy

YUL
    FWIW, yesterday while washing I found Cosmoline seeping out around the washer nozzle housings. I guess I should be thankful that it’s way up in that area.

11. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

Would using rain-X help on the wheel arches? Sure, they aren't glass. But the folks over on the Solterra forum are saying that Rain-X would really help on the Solterra's rear window, which lacks a wiper ...

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. h-dogg

h-dogg Member

Does the dealership cover this for free? I have a 2022 I bought in March and tried to remove the cosmoline and now it looks faded. Did you guys make an appointment to get new front fenders?

14. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

Yes they replace them for free. I had my 22 replaced at the end of summer.

h-dogg likes this.