What happens when you remove the key from the key fob?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Aaron, Jan 14, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

Is there a way to leave the fob in the car without the key in it and disable the start system for example if you went running or surfing?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The answers to your questions may be found on this page from the owners manual. Leave the fob at home and just take the key. Alternatively, if it is imperative to have the fob, you could try using a RFID blocking pouch or container to see if that might “hide” the fob from the vehicle. B5C29A98-0A05-4795-8FCA-4934EC85F719.jpeg

4. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

Thank you for this. I read through the owners manual and looked ay various other sights and it talks a lot about theft protection but doesn't answer this specific question.

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

My Clarity won't let me lock the car with a fob inside. Are you hoping there's a menu option that lets you lock your Clarity with a fob inside?

6. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

I can lock the car with the fob inside of I lock it using the key. My concern would be someone manages to break in while I am running or surfing and if the fob is inside you just press the button and drive away. I can take the fob when I run.....surfing......not so much.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

The simplest thing to do is to remove the battery and hide fob and battery in different places.

9. gedwin

gedwin Member

For kicks, I just tried putting the fob into an EZ Pass read-prevention pouch (provided by EZ Pass to block their transponders). For those unfamiliar, this basically looks like a anti-static bag that electronics/computer parts often come in. In any event, this did not work; the car started fine and was ready to drive. So, it would take something more substantial than this to block the fob's signals.

JustAnotherPoorDriver likes this.
  10. A quick Google search reveals that Key Fob Signal Blockers are readily available. The Faraday Bag is one option.

11. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

I just purchased a Faraday bag. I will report my findings.

insightman likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Alex800st

Alex800st Active Member

Can you start the car using only key, no fob?

14. Apparently not. Good catch. I misinterpreted the wording in the manual which said “Use the “key” to turn on and off the power system” This refers to the “fob” which conflicts with my interpretation of a “key.

Here’s another page from the manual. Note the second paragraph. I just removed the key from the fob and placed the keyless fob under the hood, near the gasket just forward of the engine air intake. Closed the hood, locked the doors and waited for the security system light to blink. Unlocked the door with the fob-less key, tried unsuccessfully to power up the car, then popped the hood, which set off the alarm. Grabbed the fob and disabled the alarm.

You would have to endure the humiliation of setting off your own car alarm, but it does present a solution if the Faraday cage does not perform as advertised.
    74779C62-3504-47F2-BD6D-4EA09F23566B.jpeg

15. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

Update on the Faraday cage for the remote....it works. Separate key from remote, put remote in Faraday cage/pouch (purchased on Amazon), car will not start. Now you can put the pouch with the remote in the trunk in the hidden area where we put our oem "chargers" and the trunk will close and lock and you can run, surf, hike, whatever just a little more securely.

gedwin and insightman like this.