Mini warnings ??

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by 1stRegeeEV, Jan 8, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 1stRegeeEV

1stRegeeEV New Member

It seems to me that the warning system on my car is faulty. The lane departure warning especially. I can be in the center of a lane and it will activate. Can it be reset? Are there any known issues with this system?
    The car is still as sent from factory, no coding it anything. I've personalized some settings but nothing major.
    TIA

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I tried for over a week to get used to the lane departure warning system, I’ve had it turned off ever since. It’s nowhere near as useful as it ought to be; in other cars it actually kind of tugs you back into the lane but in the MINI all it does is vibrate and confuse. Just push the big switch next to the hazard lights switch, it will be orange from now on but the wheel won’t vibrate.

CrazyLegs17, Alf_W and 1stRegeeEV like this.
  4. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

The vibration doesn’t bother me that tug you into the lane does. The 1er I had as a rental in the UK did it. Very fun going down narrow country lanes…

5. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I agree. The vibration doesn't bother me (after I figured out what it was). However, I briefly drove a BMW loaner (way too big) that tried to steer back, and I found that exceedingly aggravating. I frequently drive on narrow country roads, and I will give large trucks and agricultural machines more than their share of the road, and I don't want the damn car pulling me back into a sideswipe.

6. SameGuy

YUL
    You can still freely cross the lines, it doesn’t actively tug against you like an Airbus auto pilot! It only turns the opposite way if you’re not actually holding the wheel and paying attention. On the other hand, in the SE, the camera thinks it sees lines when there aren’t any and it just vibrates away and I keep thinking I’m running over something.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. endquote

endquote Active Member

I've had lane assistance on for a year, and the light comes on in the center display -- but I've never understood it. I think I've maybe felt a faint vibration occasionally? I certainly never noticed it trying to steer for me.

9. SameGuy

YUL
    It doesn’t try to steer. It’s more like hitting an almost-worn-down rumble strip, lacking the intensity to really warn of any impending calamity, but just enough jiggling to convey a “gee, something feels weird” sensation. It took me that first week to realize what was causing it.

10. amtrucker22

amtrucker22 New Member

When I had my wifes X5 windshield replaced they had to do a calibration on the camera. I wonder if that was for the Lane Departure Warning feature as it only uses the front facing camera for this feature.

Here are the differences between the 3 features. I believe the only option for Mini's is the Lane Departure Warning (LDW).

Lane Departure Warning (LDW) - Gives you an audio or vibration if you are close to crossing the line.
    Lane Keep Assist (LKA) - When close to the line it is supposed to nudge you back to the center.
    Lane Center Assist (LCA) - Automatically steers in the attempt to to keep you in the center of the lane.

If you put your turn signal on most cars disables the feature until the turn signal goes off.

SameGuy likes this.
  11. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I like the rumble warning in the SE steering wheel. I find it is a good balance - just enough to let you know something is up, but not obnoxiously so.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SameGuy

YUL
    Diff’rent strokes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :)

carrrl and insightman like this.
  14. Newkirk

Newkirk Active Member

What I find useless is the front collision warning (or whatever it's actually called), where a red car figure comes up on the top part of the instrument cluster if you are approaching a stopped car too fast. It usually doesn't make any sound, just the red car alert, and sometimes (probably depending on speed of approach) it beeps, but the beep is not very loud and you can't hear it at all if you have music playing. I can't see how that would help prevent any accidents, unless it was a loud alert every time. Is there a way to change the setting to make it louder? It should really come through the speakers so it could be heard over any music at any volume.

15. SameGuy

YUL
    When it decides to beep, it’s loud enough. When it adds emergency braking to that mix, you’ll realize it’s working as designed.

CrazyLegs17 and Rogwp like this.
  16. endquote

endquote Active Member

I find that it gets my attention, though I don't have the sound system up that loud. It does occasionally trigger when there's nothing there, which is annoying. I don't think I've encountered the emergency braking yet, thankfully!

17. SameGuy

YUL
    Come to Montreal and I can give you a (non-)crash course!

endquote likes this.
  18. Newkirk

Newkirk Active Member

Didn't know it actually had emergency braking. In that case, I'm very glad to have it. Has anyone experienced the emergency braking? I wonder how fast/close you have to be for it to activate, and if it will actually stop you from crashing into someone or just lessen the damage.

19. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

The other day, it just started to rain here and a rain drop caused the emergency braking to kick in momentarily. It felt like boost cut in a turbo car.

I've been more annoyed with the warning system than anything else. It will sometimes go off when I'm slowing down with regen and my foot is off the brake but it thinks I'm too close to the car in front of me. I wish Bimmercode could turn this off.

20. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Like when I'm driving with my wife in the passenger seat, I learned what makes my SE complain and adjusted my traffic spacing accordingly.

azausa, revorg and endquote like this.
  21. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

Need an insurance claim? Just a couple laps around dorval circle!

SameGuy likes this.
  22. SameGuy

YUL
    One time, as I was entering St-Charles from Antoine-Faucon (by the Tim’s north of the 40), I glanced to my left and saw the light on St-Charles was red, then looked straight ahead at the Toyota Camry that had come to a dead stop at the yield sign in the slip lane as I slammed into the back of her. I jumped out of my car and angrily yelled, “Why did you stop at a yield sign when there was no traffic to yield for!?” Her only response was, “but I must stop.”

Another time, I was leaving the Costco in Pointe Claire, waiting my turn to exit the parking lot onto the 40 Service road, when a woman in an Accord didn’t see my smart sitting right there and decided there was a second lane and drove right into my driver’s door.

After both incidents, my sister and brother-in-law drove me to MB Auto Lux on St-Laurent to pick up my smart after the bodywork was done, and following me down the 40 on the way home they witnessed what drivers are like around small cars, and she later texted me and said that when they were watching all the idiots around me, that I am a bad-driver magnet.

23. CrazyLegs17

CrazyLegs17 New Member

I was moving slowly on a downhill counterclockwise freeway on ramp with traffic that merges from two lanes to one. I was using one pedal driving to carefully motor towards the freeway. Something about the downward angle seemed to make the system think I was suddenly much closer to the car in front of me than I actually was. It braked hard and I jerked forward against the seat belt even at a low speed. I was glad I wasn't rear-ended. It felt overly aggressive for the situation at hand, but I guess I'm glad to know that it will brake hard if needed.

Outagas and SameGuy like this.