Wiper blade inserts?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by quietlyspinach, Jan 3, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. quietlyspinach

quietlyspinach Active Member

Has anyone replaced their wiper blade inserts? Mine are starting to "chatter" or make stuttering movements when sliding on the glass. I tried cleaning the glass and the blades and that helps a little bit, but it still acts like it's dragging on something on the windshield, so I'm thinking the blades might be the next thing to replace.

I read on a mini F56 forum that MINI actually uses Denso for the wiper blades, and that other car makes like Toyota also use the same blades and inserts; apparently the Toyota part numbers are 85214-30400 (driver side) and 85214-30390 (passenger side). These are apparently cheaper to source in North America vs the MINI-branded parts.

Has anyone tried this?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. endquote

endquote Active Member

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

You should get free replacement wiper blades during your service period, but I've also replaced them. They're very easy to pop off and put on. I just get replacement blades from the dealer.

insightman likes this.
  6. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

No inserts just new blades. OEM is actually Valeo… I’ve tried the Denso units on my F55 and they aren’t great. Switched back to Valeo no issues. New blades aren’t too expensive at the dealer, which in my years experience have always been the best option.

CoachCookie and MichaelC like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I learned a secret from the Mercedes service foreman next-door, he told me to get Honda refills instead of paying three times as much for the Bosch blades at the parts department, and it was like they were coated with quicksilver. But I tried the same trick on the Crapolla, and the Honda refills sucked on it compared to the Denso blades from Toyota so I went back to just getting new blades from the parts department. The Subaru’s wipers are nearly 5 years old now, used year-round, and my wife just started complaining about smearing. I won’t even bother shopping around. With the MINI, we are driving a $40,000 sub-1-Series, why scrimp twenty bucks on something as important as wiper blades?

MichaelC and insightman like this.
  9. sousvide

sousvide Member

Anyone replace them with aftermarket blades?

I just noticed a piece of plastic missing on one of the blades and was thinking of getting bosch icons or piaa silicones that can be replaced with inserts.

10. SameGuy

YUL
    Yeah but price it out. I find the original MINI blades work wonderfully well, I don’t really see the point of messing around with aftermarket to save $10 or $20. I picked up the OE Subaru blades yesterday, 26 inch and 16 inch aero-style blades, for less than $40 US tax-in.

CoachCookie likes this.
  11. sousvide

sousvide Member

That's true but the Piaa's are pretty close to OEM cost for the first set and refills are only $10.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Try Rain-X glass water repellent. I found it can greatly reduce wiper blade chatter even with older blades. No problem with my SE though.

14. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

This is me. How I've done it on all my Minis. Call me lazy, but I find they do work best after trying aftermarket blades once

SameGuy likes this.
  15. SameGuy

YUL
    The Michelin blades at Costco are a decent winter alternative for old-school pantograph blades that freeze up at the slightest hint of humidity in the Snow Belt, but the new aero blades don’t have that problem, so as long as you take the time to clear any ice and frost off your windshield before running the wipers, they should last at least three or four years.