Winter Cold Battery Efficiency

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Puppethead, Dec 29, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. vader

vader Well-Known Member

To be even more pedantic ( :) ) the energy released in the Karnaugh cycle is proportional to the difference between high and low pressure. The more you can compress the fuel before ignition, the more power you can get from the engine.

On another note, and yes this isn't a winter result, I have just returned from up the coast. 115km on the trip, 54% battery remaining, estimated range 250km on the nose.This was a combination of 90-110kph with a small section at 80kph (road works) and a few km of city (at the end). In my case, the aircon was keeping a nice 21C on a 30 plus (more like 35C) outside day.

As all things here are upside down, my summer range is worse than winter as I use the aircon in summer. I think cooling is more efficient than heating in the MINI, especially when the resistive element kicks in.

SameGuy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    142 km (88 miles) today on a mix of freeways, back highways, and suburban stop-and-go, Sport mode, matted-pedal hooned more than a few times (RIP KB) to get around left-lane dawdlers, on Nokian Hakkaloogey R5s. Ambient temps +2.0 to +3.5°C (35-38°F). GOM showing 18 km left, 13% SOC.

So I can easily get within 90% of EPA range in these conditions, and I’m doubling down (staying in the ever-growing chorus) about claiming there’s something fishy with Toyota’s factory ratings for bZ4X. In these conditions it just cannot be getting only half their claimed range.

4. SameGuy

YUL
    Hey @MrSnrub ! I stopped by the A30 Express office to fix my account for my MINI’s transponder. I’ve only crossed a handful of times since I got the SE in August, but apparently we can cross toll-free. Their site is incomprehensibly bad at (not) explaining it, but basically you can’t just get a transponder then switch it to “EV” status; you have to apply in person or via email. They couldn’t refund the $21.00 (six times last year plus today), but very quickly got me a new “EV”-registered transponder.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
  5. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

Ah sweet!

6. MrSnrub

The Bz4x is a total flop. What’s the battery issue ?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SameGuy

YUL
    Winter tests in Nordic countries showing it loses more than 50% of its WLTP range (and almost half its EPA/NRCan) rating:

9. MrSnrub

0EFF107A-74D1-4D96-BC15-9B2AC7E9C0D6.jpeg That’s really high. Was it from a “cold start” ?

inside the garage this is a new gom record for me

10. SameGuy

YUL
    Garage at 10°, no pre-con. My GOM routinely showed more than 183 km in warm weather, hasn’t promised more than 165 since late November.

11. MrSnrub

It’s been doing its GOM thing. Each charge or top up gets more and more. We just cracked 1000kms yesterday

I’m actually certain in warm weather I could have made that trip to Cornwall without charging along the way. I enjoy playing this game

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SameGuy

YUL
    Lol yeah, my goal this winter was to get to my US PO box and back without charging (mostly back highways 207/221/SR22), 170 km total. In warm weather I did that with 30% to spare. Next summer I’m aiming for Plattsburgh and back (244 km on the back roads). Luckily there are Circuit Électrique stations peppered everywhere in that area, along with free AC at dealerships and helpful PlugSharers, so I can fall back if needed.

14. MrSnrub

I have a friend that lives in Malone NY so that’s the defacto shipping addy. I looked around and there are a couple chargers options.

SameGuy likes this.