Winter Cold Battery Efficiency

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Puppethead, Dec 29, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Yeah, insignificant. Octane rating is a derived number that quantifies a given gasoline blend’s ability to be compressed in an air mixture without detonating; it doesn’t (normally) relate to the energy content of the fuel. /pedantic

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The video mentioned the heat pump in the SE, but it is ineffective at those temperatures. He did set the SE to quite warm (70 ºF), and I wonder how much the seat heating worked to keep the cabin air warm with no bodies in the seats absorbing the heat.

SameGuy likes this.
  4. SameGuy

YUL
    I was wondering if both Fs and Rs don’t use occupancy sensors for the seat heaters.

5. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I use seat warmers to keep pizza hot driving home. I turn it on as I leave for the pizza shop to pre warm. Then again on the way home. They run just fine empty or not. I've only had F models with heated seats butt I doubt the car they had was much different with that.

insightman, MichaelC and SameGuy like this.
  6. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Tommy said it's one of the coldest days recorded in Colorado at -20F (windchill included), but the temperature gauge was -3F at 3 hours of idling in the SE.

Since both seats on the SE were set to the max, I'm sure they warmed the cabin and the air conditioner had to activate (auto climate). You can see the AC light on at 6:06.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SameGuy

YUL
    Noted. I’ve never had the bum warmer on if it weren’t under my bum. ;)

9. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Someone told me the trick way back when I had my CR-V. Been using it ever since. Granted I love pizza and the best joints don't always deliver more than a couple miles out, so we pick up often!

10. Puppethead

I hope nobody pays any attention to windchill on vehicle tests, since that measurement is for human flesh's evaporative cooling. Plus the batteries and motors are not exposed to surface conditions where the wind is. It was a good test, though. I think I'll be less conservative on heating during our typical subzero winter weather, and am going to try the seat heating trick with the empty passenger seat.

11. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

I don't. I paid attention to the actual numbers on the dash. If it is warm enough for the heat pump I expect better results than this. I do know my car sucked up way more battery in the negative double digits (actual temp) because of having to use the heat. I'm curious to know level of energy used by seats and if it would help when super cold. We have a heatwave of 55F today so I will try the seat warmer to help once it drops a little more.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SameGuy

YUL
    Yeah I hate having to be that guy every time I feel compelled to point that out. All the wind can do to inanimate objects is speed up their cooling to ambient. If the car is already cold-soaked as in this test, the wind has zero effect.

pictsidhe, teslarati97 and Lainey like this.
  14. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

BRB calling the airport ATIS for weather conditions

15. SameGuy

YUL
    Lol

16. SameGuy

YUL
    D95019CE-0BF0-42BA-B26A-52B50A04A170.jpeg

F14Scott likes this.
  17. MrSnrub

18. jakesmini

jakesmini Member

IMG_2408.JPG

Just glad the Mini assumes a realistic range vs dropping as you drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

19. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'm surprised you don't always have your battery % on display at the bottom of the instrument panel. That's what I look at when determining my available much range. In fact, because I have the Head-Up Display, the percentage the only thing I look at on the instrument panel. The Guess-O-Meter is for entertainment purposes only.

Edit: I also look at the instrument panel to confirm that my headlights are on.

Lainey likes this.
  20. jakesmini

jakesmini Member

Appreciate the idea. Might switch over to battery % and I turned my HUD off. Do you see a variance in the battery % vs the right hand side bar?

On another note, I truly enjoy this car. It’s just fun to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

21. Puppethead

The battery % at the bottom matches the gauge on the right, except the gauge is 8 segments so it's every 12.5% SoC for each segment. I've always thought one day I'd map what % causes a change in the lit segments in the gauge, but I haven't had the patience to do that yet.

SameGuy and jakesmini like this.
  22. MrSnrub

Went to Ontario (Cornwall)Left home 100% start of charge and the GOM was showing “143km” range. Drove to the church ruins in Williamstown ON, then continued to Cornwall. Went to LCBO, Dollar Tree etc.

Hit the 401 with 25% ish SOC and planned to stop at a DC fast charger at Esso Vaudreuil and for coffee. Ended up using one at the rest stop after the border as I was falling asleep and my wife wanted the restroom. 17% SOC 181km driven since leaving home. Charged for 20mins, netting almost 12kwh. Cost? 4.35$. So charging at home is the cheapest but having to charge on the road is still almost half the cost of gas.

CB441C40-5330-492B-965F-99899A56696A.jpeg E063861D-1580-4E58-B27D-FB44DED2AB5F.png

SameGuy and MichaelC like this.
  23. MrSnrub

96F1B3A0-9595-4042-A16A-79CB13D6ED1D.jpeg