2023 Mini SE Charging Guidance

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by mini2023, Dec 14, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

Different countries, different laws. Manuals are heavily influenced by lawyers and marketing. They are definitely not an engineer telling you what is actually best for the battery.

In this case, I'd guess New Zealand has some consumer friendly liability law that meant it wasn't worth the risk to provide specific guidance.

azausa and Rogwp like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

The car is learning. Last full charge was displayed 183km when unplugged

4. mini2023

mini2023 New Member

Hi,
    Thank you for your Guidance. I figured out the issue the setting on the charge was set to reduced. I changed it to Maximum and have been able to charge per the guidance attached.
    Have another related question. It's been a week i have had my Mini SE . Installed winter tires.
    Charged a few times and the charge at 100% is only giving me 95 Miles range. Last night, it charged at 100% with only 85 miles.
    Any guidance if anyone in this group has experienced this? I thought that the charge would result in about 110 miles and due to the winter and winter tires i understand the range would be less? I have a charge point flex level 2 home charger and have a breaker of 50 amps and set the chargepoint to 50 amps.

Thank you for all your previous support and guidance.
    Have a great Holiday.

5. DJCoopster

DJCoopster Well-Known Member

I have no idea where you are, but much of the US is well below freezing so you will have less than 110 miles of range if you're in those conditions. Type of tire, driving habits and speeds all play into the GOM range (Guess-O-Meter) and Mini's GOM tends to be a bit pessimistic.

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

As @Puppethead proved, you can turn off your heat for increased range.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. mini2023

mini2023 New Member

Hi,
    Thank you all for your response.
    Not sure if I was Clear.
    I live in New York.
    The question I have is not the range when driving after a full charge.

At a 100% charge it is only showing (last night charge ) at 83 miles. (refer to attached screen shot)
    Why is it not showing at 100% charge at least 110 miles?
    Totally understand that the range will diminish once I start to drive in cold weather and the combination of winter tires.
    Appreciate your guidance. Anyone have a same situation? Not sure if this is what is expected?
    Mini Miles when charged at 100%.jpg

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I, like many experienced SE drivers, mostly ignore the GOM (focusing on battery % instead), but I do notice after charging it starts out with fewer miles than the EPA's 110-mile number in cold weather. The SE knows how cold it is and perhaps it assumes I'm going to use the range-robbing heater.

Zim likes this.
  10. Torrey

Torrey Active Member

The GOM takes into account the temperature where the car is located as well as recent performance. You can test this if you don’t drive by watching the estimated range change as the temperature changes.

insightman likes this.
  11. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Don't even worry. I get 43 miles at 99% charge! Well I was running cabin comforts..it was 100% just a minute earlier.

gom1.jpg

pictsidhe and insightman like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. mini2023

mini2023 New Member

So thank full for your guidance and information. I was just anxious thinking something was wrong with the car.
    Have a great holiday

14. mini2023

mini2023 New Member

Thank you for your quick response. Makes me feel less anxious knowing that this seems to be a norm especially in the cold.

15. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

Doing better I see, Teslarati.

The GOM is a waste of space in most of our opinions, it's that bad. I'd rather have a % readout.

Rain will hurt your range. Cold temperatures will also hurt your range. Higher rolling resistance tyres will hurt your range.
    You can't change the weather, but you can be picky about tyres. Unfortunately, many of the US winter tyres options don't have rolling resistance info available. Some of them are also available in Europe, where 'tyre labels' are required for new tyres. These give basic Rolling resistance, wet grip and noise information. The Nokian Hakka R5, popular with our Canuckian members, scores a 'B' for rolling resistance. This is excellent for a winter tyre. The standard summer tyres are all 'A's. My Nokian WR-G4 all weather tyres are a US market only tyre, so no rating.
    Walmart cheapos tyres tend to be 'E's...

My personal experience:
    I found my summer range in 70-90 temps to be well over 110 miles without much effort. I did one run, at mostly 65-70, at 146mile calculated range.
    In winter, down around freezing, I am usually looking at around 100, less in wind and rain.

16. mini2023

mini2023 New Member

Very Helpful and it nice to know it seems to be the norm. Have a great holiday and happy healthy new year to all.

insightman likes this.
  17. mini2023

mini2023 New Member

Thank you for your great guidance and Information. Have a great holiday.