Swapping out rear reflectors

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by KimB, Dec 15, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Yeah, my car definitely needs to be cleaned! :D

SameGuy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

Is the 3rd brake light not functional north of the border?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Why? I activated the rear fogs as fogs. Note that the main brake lights are also not illuminated.

5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Do you mean you coded the car so the rear fog lights come on when you turn the front fog lights on? Wow if possible, I never thought of doing that. But it would have saved me getting the new switch (yet to be installed).

SameGuy likes this.
  6. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

You still need the switch if you want fog lights. If you want it coded for brake lights you can do it without the switch, but it's halogen and will probably burn out prematurely.

SameGuy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SameGuy

YUL
    It’s been covered in a couple of threads, but I ordered the non-NA module off Amazon — I thought I sent you the link! — with the rear fog switch, and coded it to work like it does in the ROW.

Matt007b likes this.
  9. I've been so tempted to do this... is it fairly easy to get to that switch to swap out? :/ it's too cold now but in a few months I'd like to swap it.

10. Sorry to bother ya but can you send me the link on Amazon as well? :cool:

11. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Yeah I have the switch, just haven't mustered the courage to attempt removal of the front piece yet.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SameGuy

YUL
    It’s dead easy.

Rather than adding several links, you can follow along starting here, with the full coding, the encouragement to do it ;), and the link to the source for the switch.

Matt007b and insightman like this.
  14. Thanks for the link :) and the encouragement - I think I'll do it, doesn't sound too bad. Thank you!

SameGuy likes this.
  15. CoachCookie

CoachCookie Active Member

Looks super good! Maybe I'll see you around the area. Keep an eye out for a lowered Moonwalk Grey with yellow mirror caps! Have seen one silver SE in Forest Park so I know we're not alone...

16. SameGuy

YUL
    I found the best compromise was this:

2909692D-339B-4C31-BCD2-82C7C34BF619.jpeg

Then you can just head over to the checkbox in iDrive, and push and hold a spare hot button to assign it to the button. I chose button 6. Now when I drive up to a CBP/CBSA booth or back into my garage late at night, I just hit button 6 to silence it. The warning defaults to “on” at the next startup.