Hankook Ventus S1 evo3 are runflats??

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by -Amanda, Dec 19, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. -Amanda

-Amanda Active Member

So, I was conversing on a Canadian EV group on Facebook and someone said their SE arrived with run flats…Hankook Ventus S1 evo3. My Mini also has Hankook Ventus S1 evo3 and I was not aware they are considered run flats. So I looked them up online and it appears that in 205/45R17 XL it says Run Flat…Y on https://www.hankooktire.com/ca/en/tire/ventus/s1evo3-k127.html.

Was anyone else aware of this? Should it say run flat somewhere on the tire?

[​IMG]

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
  4. endquote

endquote Active Member

5. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Pretty much everyone outside of USA gets run-flats on ICE or EV MINIs standard. I think they get RFT summer tires by default.

For MINI USA, it's probably because the road noise was too loud for the SE.

Usually there's a star on the sidewall for BMW OEM run flats and I see one on the bottom right for Amanda.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
  6. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

Canadian market car checking in. Goodyear Eagle F1s with the inflator kit tossed in. I actually want to try those new Hancook runflats on my F55. Seems they solved some of the issues that plagued Bridgestones and Pirelli (p7 are the worst Tire ever made)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    The Eagle F1s are not run-flats in Canada, and I’m pretty sure neither the P7 nor the Evo are run-flats.

9. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Beat me by seconds

10. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

For BMW-approved run flat tires, you should see a symbol that has the letters "RSC" in a circle next to the star symbol. (The "RSC" stands for "Run-flat System Component".) I don't see that symbol on the tire pictured, so it isn't a run flat.
    IMG_A6AC7D942D30-1.jpeg
    Hankook's model number for non-run flat S1 evo 3 tires is K127 whereas the run flat variant is K127B, sometimes referred to as the "SUV version". I only know this because of my quest earlier this year for efficient (yet still sporty) 225/45 R17 summer tires for my aftermarket wheels. In this size, the run flat variant actually has a better rating (B) for rolling resistance than the non-run flat (C) per the Euro tyre labels. This is a rare exception, as run flats are usually less efficient.

Note that the non-run flat 205/45 R17 S1 evo 3 has an A rating, which is the most efficient. I haven't seen Euro tyre labels for the run flat variant in that size, but it seems unlikely to me they would have an A rating. As such, I would be surprised if MINI installed them at the factory due to the impact to range--unless they had no other option available due to supply chain constraints.

11. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

So far New Zealand is the only place confirmed to put runflats on the SE, I don't recall anywhere else having them from members on this forum.

azausa likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Puppethead

Since this is becoming more of an general runflat topic...

I just put Pirelli P Zero Winter runflat tires on my Clubman (replacing the worn-out Continental winter tires), and they seem pretty great so far. Good traction and much less noisy than the Continentals.

14. Mini4bv

Mini4bv New Member

The 2022 I bought in August with 1,021 miles came with Pirelli Cinturato P7 runflats (RSC & star on sidewalls) and also the Mobility System. Realize the tires are not OEM. Suspect original owner - EVM in the tracking spreadsheet - swapped them out.

Too bad EVM is not active on the forum as I would like to know the history of the car.

15. teslarati97

I think it really has to do with the RFT weight penalty vs sidewall deformation. In this case, the reduced sidewall deformation provides more benefits than the weight penalty. My guess is that this would probably be the opposite with the big SUV tires.

Historically Pirelli Cinturato P7s would wear down extremely quickly and I believe there was an update to the tire compound in 2020. Still not track worthy (if that matters).

SameGuy and MichaelC like this.
  16. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

My 16" Hankooks were not too happy about being autocrossed. They weren't hockey pucks, though.

There is a lot of confusion about what tyres are what.
    Manufacturers seem to often make several versions of each type of tyre in each size...
    Most tyre places outside Europe are clueless about rolling resistance, so will merrily sell you high rolling resistance tyres. You need to know exactly which tyre you want. The OEM tyres for the SE are hard to find outside a Mini dealer. I hear that mini dealers are not unreasonably priced.
    Only European market tyres have rolling resistance information. I strongly suspect some liberties are being taken in markets which don't require testing and labelling.

MichaelC and GvilleGuy like this.
  17. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

I have found that the only way to get the tire I want is through Tire Rack. Tire shops and dealerships have both flat-out lied to me in order to sell me what they have instead of what I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

BackPack likes this.
  18. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Sorry you are experiencing that. I like Tire Rack. I order from there and ship directly to my local tire shop to get them installed.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  19. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

I will caveat that and clarify that my Mini dealer is not guilty of this. They were very honest and talked me through my options (including ordering a tire and waiting for it to arrive). The worst offender was Ford. They swore up and down that they put on LRR tires. It wasn’t until I had driven for a while that I noticed my range was greatly reduced. I looked up the model of tire and sure enough…not what I was told.

So yeah. Maybe my first post was a little too strongly worded. I still don’t trust dealerships, and go through Tire Rack whenever possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

20. teslarati97

There are some rare exceptions like the the MICHELIN Pilot Sport 4S* and Pilot Sport Cup2 Connect* for the ///M. That's a 5 layer compound sandwich for inner/outer layers (2 for the aftermarket non * version), modification to the tire belt tension combined with waved casing plies (tighter tension and better fitting).

I don't think those are sold in the aftermarket shops.

21. Puppethead

Tire Rack is great, and I like Discount Tire as well. But as previously pointed out MINI tire sizes are most easily found through the dealer.