2023 Mini SE Charging Guidance

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by mini2023, Dec 14, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

When I had my Subaru they changed the cats and exhaust under emission warranty only thing it cost me was an O2 sensor. Again
    my issue with the 80% charge is there is no way to set that 80% without doing some math with charging times. I will continue to charge to 100% when needed. This charge I’m going to 15-20%

Rogwp likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I suppose I could set something up like that once I get the 40 amp Z-wave relay installed, whenever that might be. Of course then the best setup would be some sort of scraper that recognizes that the car has hit 80%. A timer is just too crude, and requires depleting the charge to the same level every time before plugging in. Otherwise unplugging manually every charge will be more of a PITA than it’s worth to me, because I don’t plan to drive the SE more than around 8000 miles a year.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
  4. Rogwp

Rogwp Active Member Subscriber

15F966E2-A39C-48AC-AB17-12263E171804.jpeg I, for one, will not be going out and unplugging Basil when 80% is reached (usually in the middle of the night!)
    15F966E2-A39C-48AC-AB17-12263E171804.jpeg

5. SameGuy

YUL
  6. So, if ever, MINI cannot refuse our battery warranty claim within the 8 years if they found out that we have been charging to 100% always; because it is not stated in our manual.

GvilleGuy and SameGuy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

That's okay, it's just going to -25F overnight. I just got back from using an electric leaf blower to clear the snow.

9. SameGuy

YUL
    Cold snow is def better than the 37 cm of heavy slop we got this weekend. After making it this far with a bare driveway, my plowing contractor’s PTO blower basically managed to compact a lot of it into an eight inch layer of hard-pack.

teslarati97 likes this.
  10. This may sound ignorant but I need to ask - once the charge reaches 100% is it ok to leave the charger plugged in. I usually charge later afternoon early evening. !00% may occur anywhere from late evening to early morning. Not sure if the charger senses the state of the charge and shuts off.

11. SameGuy

YUL
    I doesn’t keep charging or topping up. It will use the supplied power to climatize if you activate it, so the charge won’t drop from 100.

Rogwp and azausa like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

I feel for those of you who are experiencing subzero temperatures. (I once visited my sister in Chicago in the winter time, and I never did again. The wind chill factor was -80F.)

Texas is slated to drop to 7F where I live, Thursday night. Every time I look, the forecasted temperature is lower. (Temperatures during the Big Freeze in Texas in 2021 hit -2F in Dallas.) It'll be interesting to see if we have another power crisis.

Fortunately, my SE is set to arrive at the Galveston port on 28-dec. So, she'll be dodging this polar vortex.

14. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

It could just be a copy paste from other BMW EV manuals…
    It’s irrelevant to those with older year models as the manual says to charge to 100%.

insightman likes this.
  15. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

Unless BMW has discovered some preliminary degradation in early-year SE’s.
    That might instigate a change in the manual.

Even so, I’m not losing any sleep over worry about the battery in my SE. But, I can understand that owners with a 100 mile daily commute would be concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

16. CamFG

CamFG New Member

BMW are not saying anywhere not to charge to 100%, just to keep the battery between 10 and 80%? If they wanted to make an 80% charge achievable they would have given us software to enable that?!

I interpret the guidance to mean: feel free to charge to 100% but then use the car immediately - ie don’t charge it fully and leave it sitting around for days at 100%. By all means charge it again to 100% but use it immediately again, else don’t charge it but use the car and keep the battery within the 10-80% range, which unless you’re doing lots of miles seems achievable.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

-Amanda and e22mini like this.
  17. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

That runs counter to the guidance in the manual for long-term storage (I have a 2021 SE).

selongterm.jpeg

18. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

What this means is that after 8 years your max SoC % will be 71%+ and you will not qualify for battery replacement warranty assuming the mileage is not exceeded.

Rogwp likes this.
  19. Our manual is even more vague, we have a 2021 SE (2022 model in the US) IMG_9366.JPG

20. Puppethead

How weird it is New Zealand MINI won't provide any guidance on long-term storage. "Go ask someone" isn't much help. Also, "Projection lens" versus "Combination disc" seems like really divergent language for the head-up display. Quite the cultural difference.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
  21. That’s my interpretation as well based on what is in the 2022 manual

[​IMG]

And 2022 long term storage guidance is bit different than 2021

[​IMG]

22. Puppethead

It's like two different cars, how odd. I don't think the batteries changed.

carrrl likes this.
  23. I know right. I am confident that our 2021 (2022 model in the US) came from Oxford. The only difference from the US would be the steering wheel on the right side for us; yet the manuals are entirely different.