Trying to figure out

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Stillk, Dec 10, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. So I picked up my BRG SE on Friday. Loving it so far but there are several things that I am trying to figure out. The invoice says that it came with a heated steering wheel but the switch that should be there to control it is not - not a deal breaker - will talk to the dealer. One annoying thing - my driveway narrows quickly after leaving the garage with a fence on one side and the house on the other. The passengers side mirror dips down every time I back out of the garage. Once I am in the street I adjust it and all is well. Just can't figure why the mirror dips. Any input would be appreciated

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

That's a backing-up feature, to help you see the curb (or parking spot stripe) as you back up (in reverse), returning to normal position when you change to drive. You should be able to disable that by switching the mirror adjust button to the passenger mirror, that is supposed to turn off the mirror tilt when backing up. I recently tried it in my 2021 SE and it does disable the tilt.

Texas22Step and GvilleGuy like this.
  4. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

You get a credit for options not there. Did you have to sign that paper? The dip mirror you can switch off by putting the mirror adjustment side selector to the left. Classic BMW dip mirror is so you can see the curb

5. Just came across that explanation in the owner's manual - sorry - a little annoying with a fence to the immediate right and the mirror pointed at the pavement - will very quickly disable this. The manual says to deactivate - slide the switch toward the passenger mirror - I guess it depends on what side of the pond you're on as to the left or right.
    Signed nothing that would indicate the heated steering wheel was not present - will check with the dealer Monday. It does get fairly frosty here and I definitely would use it but again not a deal breaker. Also trying to figure out the cruise control - vastly different than my Countryman which is fairly simple. It seems to suddenly deactivate - haven't exceeded the max - no other vehicles around. Just a feature that I need to read about and experience

6. TripleD

TripleD Active Member

Be sure you look very carefully for the switch for the heated steering wheel. Mine is way up under the turn signal lever. Very easy to miss.

carrrl likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Quiet Mini

Quiet Mini Well-Known Member

Are the reversing lines turned on in the backup camera settings? That may help you in addition to the mirror. As I recall they were turned off from the factory.

The heated steering wheel switch is hidden near the steering wheel height adjustment lever.

SameGuy likes this.
  9. TripleD

TripleD Active Member

OOPs. Quiet Mini is correct. Switch is under the steering wheel height adjustment lever, not the turn signal.

SameGuy likes this.
  10. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    For a while I kept hitting the auto-high beams switch instead of the onboard computer switch at the end of the turn signal stalk. I tweaked my seat rake and height, and the reach for the wheel, and —poof— I could actually see the “BC” (“Bordcomputer”) from my normal slouching position, and have not hit the wrong button since. ;)

11. DJCoopster

DJCoopster Well-Known Member

I adjusted the tilt angle using Bimmercode. I think I cut it in half and it's a great compromise between no tilt and full tilt.

SameGuy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SameGuy

YUL
    Lol no I meant the rim of the wheel was blocking the end of the turn signal stalk, so I could never remember and I was always guessing if the upper button was the board computer, or the lower button. Since I adjusted the seat’s height and rake, and the wheel’s reach, I now clearly see “BC” on the end of the stalk. ;)

14. SameGuy

YUL
    Just realized, you adjusted the tilt of the mirror. I was wondering about that, thinking you meant the HUD… because you can adjust the tilt of the HUD from the centre display, no need for BimmerCode. Once again, maybe I should go take a break.

15. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

this year heated steering wheels are the sore spot. last year it was harmon kardon. Many of us got a whopping $100 credit for the deleted piece of standard equipment. Frustrating for me who doesn't like wearing gloves.

16. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Maybe driving gloves need to come back into style. :)

GetOffYourGas and MichaelC like this.
  17. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

I lost HK audio for 2022 but I had a feeling heated steering wheel or other features would go missing.

18. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

The smarter than the average cruise control will deactivate now and then due to sun hitting the cameras or whenever it wants. Switch off adaptive cruise and it should work like a typical dumb cruise control.

amtrucker22 likes this.
  19. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

When they were in style i got them a gifts more than one. wore them twice and the are in the closet. nah.

20. BackPack

BackPack Member

How do you switch off the adaptive cruise control? This is one “feature” I can’t stand in any car. Please teach me how to get a typical cruise control.

21. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

A long press of either of the follow distance buttons disables adaptive and enables regular old cruise. But I think you have to do it each time. And you might already have to have a set speed on ACC. Not sure. Play with it.

BackPack and SameGuy like this.
  22. SameGuy

YUL
    It seems to be more finicky with the slightest bit of schmutz on the windscreen in front of the camera. Even after what should’ve been an adequate wipe today, it was acting up. I still use it, but once in a while its reactions to oncoming vehicles, changing light, or… ghosts(?) catch me off guard.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  23. BackPack

BackPack Member

Thank you. I have a long drive today so I’ll give it a try.

GvilleGuy likes this.