Navigation woes after latest Garmin map upgrade

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by coutinpe, Nov 27, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Hi Folks, wonder if somebody has recently updated the native navigator with Garmin's latest update? I did, and it keeps failing to detect satellites, even if the little satellite icon on top stays solid and not flashing. Moreover, if I try to go to another menu, it freezes, blackens and throw me an error message: "Garmin Navigator stopped working" with two button choices: "Wait" and "Exit". If I "Wait", nothing happens. If I "exit" it brings me to the root menu, and if I hit Navigation again, the whole ordeal starts again. I tried several times, still no luck, until today, after the third time trying, it finally recognized the satellites. We'll see what happens next. But at least I have Carplay, albeit with its own tantrums. BTW, this latest Garmin "update" finally filled the patch of desert where my 3-year old community sits, but with unnamed alleys, so I still can't use my address as "Home"...

jenesuispasbavard likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Annwn

Annwn Member

I updated mine with the latest map a few weeks ago. I've seen a single can't detect sat message briefly flash (not when in navigation either)...but I'll also admit I never use the included nav - I always use Android Auto. I only update it because it's included and it's a potential backup in case Google Maps isn't available...so why not? I'll try to remember to not use Android Auto for a few days for you - I submitted a few map errors to Garmin a year ago and I'm sort of curious if those got updated.

4. AHolbro1

AHolbro1 Member

Dittos! What Annwn said...goes for me, double. I updated the nav maybe 3-4 weeks ago...but I never use it. Didn't use it prior to update, haven't used it since. Prefer WAZE on AA if I know where I'm going, or Google Maps on AA if I don't.

5. Annwn

Annwn Member

I used the Garmin nav today to test it out for you - multiple different trips/destinations, about 3hrs total of driving. Zero issues.

Fun fact - The map errors I submitted over a year ago have not been fixed. One is minor with a wrong street label for about a half mile in the country (Google also had this error actually), another is that they missed the state abandoning about 10 miles of state road to local control (this happened about 10 years ago even!), and the last is a pretty major intersection that got completely rebuilt in a very very different config over a couple of miles around the entire intersection. Doubt I was going to pay for new maps after the 5 years anyways, but this doesn't make the rest of their product line seem appealing if they can't do a couple of NA map updates.

coutinpe likes this.
  6. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

I'm sure someone has highlighted this previously, but is the consensus that free Garmin updates will end at 5 years? If so, I should do one more update in the next two weeks.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Annwn

Annwn Member

For some reason, I thought I ran across my 5 years in conjunction with the original purchase date when poking around online on the Honda site, but now I can't recall for sure. The literature does state 5 years of updates for sure though.

The map update only comes out annually - usually early November...and at least one year a Clarity owner had to remind them to do it if I recall the thread. Guess I'm sort of lucky my 2018 was purchased in late Nov originally - I still have one more update left.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
  9. AHolbro1

AHolbro1 Member

5 years for MY2018/19; 3 years for MY2020 and subsequent. Can't recall which website I found that info on, but either Honda's or Garmin's. Doesn't matter when you bought the car, only the production date. I bought my 2019 in July, 2022 and the update was free.

10. bpratt

bpratt Active Member

I purchased my car in Dec 2017. The production date is Nov 2017. Today when I did the update (Dec 4) I got a message "Map care expiration date 1/3/2023. So it looks like purchase date or maybe end of year is what determines when the 5 years starts.

11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

This message sounds definitive. I wonder how much Garmin will charge for future updates? Will the paid-for updates include improvements we've been denied all these years?

Imaginary Garmin boss: "Joe, change the label on the 2017 map to 2021 this time and send out the notice telling the people they have to spend an hour downloading and installing it again."

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

My .02 would be to update to the latest you can then leave it. I've really tried to like Garmin over the years. I had in the past purchased some of the color screen map units for my car (the ones you plug into cigarette lighter). Where I live, the points of interest are completely wrong (there seems to be no updates about restaurants that have gone out of business or new ones in-business) let alone street and traffic changes. Maybe Garmin works better outside the places I travel, but the thing is just so bad, it just seems always better to use Google/Apple/Waze, whatever else. Also over the years I've always found their map and software updates to just be painful and not intuitive.

I admit I still use Garmin in Clarity from time to time by entering a street address since the POI's are so out of date. I only do so because I like the integration with the cars center panel (you can see arrows there). But aside from that, it's just not a great product. I also like to have an electronic map that doesn't depend on cellular at times when traveling in rural western states.

14. leehoewonek

leehoewonek Member

I use Waze in Android Auto, and the instructions from that show in the center panel as well. I think Google maps does too.

coutinpe and Dan Albrich like this.
  15. Ray B

Ray B Active Member

By the way, if anyone is interested I recommend the Motorola MA1 device that allows for wireless Android Auto. I now just get in and start the car and less than a minute later AA is up and running with Google maps going, without any input at all. Not even taking my phone out of my pocket. The downside (aside from the $80-100 cost) is that it will use up your phone battery faster, so on longer drives you probably need to plug your phone into a charger anyway.

16. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Ray - The connection between the MA1 and your phone is WiFi. Thus, it would seem that internet access would not be needed for the basic AA function. I know Internet is used for access to maps, but suppose you didn't have cell service... Could you download Google Maps in advance for the region where you will be and operate entirely off-line?

17. Ray B

Ray B Active Member

At the end of the day it is the same behavior as when the phone had the wired connection to the USB port. If I load a map while connected to the internet, the maps still stay active through cell phone dead zones. But looking up new addresses or mapping routes to other areas that need an internet connection - to create the route and map - would probably have to wait in that circumstance. I don't recall having that situation happen.

Anyway, everything is the same except I don't have to pull out the phone and plug it into the car (or accidentally leave it in the car when I step out, as I often would do).

18. AHolbro1

AHolbro1 Member

My son (2018 Clarity Touring) purchased the Carlinkit 4.0 to obtain the same functionality. Unfortunately, it specifies your phone be running Android 11 or subsequent. I'm a dinosaur running a Motorola phone stuck at Android 10 forever.

Ray, any fine print with the ma1 specifying what level of Android system is required? I can't find that info on the Amazon listing, but will dig in deeper later on Motorola's site to see if it is specified.

19. Alex800st

Alex800st Active Member

open google map - menu - offline maps - select your own map - drag the area across the map - and it will download that portion of the map for offline use.

Dan Albrich likes this.
  20. Ray B

Ray B Active Member

Don't quote me on this, but I believe it specified Android 11 except Samsung phones can operate it with Android 10. I had a Samsung phone at the time - an S9? - and if I recall it was Android 10 and it worked. But my old S9's battery was pretty much toast so I had to keep it plugged in anyway to keep the battery from depleting; shortly after that, I upgraded my phone to a new Samsung Flip 4, which is working fine with AA and the MA1.

AHolbro1 likes this.
  21. Ray B

Ray B Active Member

AHolbro1 likes this.
  22. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

Thank you for taking that time. I appreciate it. I have not used the Garmin since. I really find the Garmin, to say it nicely, dismal. Very poor resolution and let's not talk about the annual outdated 'updates'. My only interest on it is when is when I have to drive through areas with low or no cell coverage, so I could rely on the more sensitive (?) car GPS antenna, or when my bursts of paranoia resent Google or Apple tracking my every step. Besides, the only thing that I find really useful on the native navigation, and absent from Carplay/Android auto, is the turn by turn directions projected on the info panel right in front of my eyes.

23. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

That's very good to know! I believed I saw in a very old thread someone saying it wouldn't. Did you have to do something special or it just worked?