Battery gear to buy?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Linda Moskalyk, Nov 4, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Since my car didn't start today and I had to call roadside assistance for a boost I decided to take everyone's advice and buy a small portable jump start/booster and a voltmeter to check the state of the 12v battery. I am looking for recommendations on these two items. What brand did you buy and looking for something easy to use?
    I am thinking I might also need a battery tender. Is that the same as a trickle charger that could be used when we are away and want to keep the 12v loaded?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

I bought a gooloo jumper It works great watch for the great sales they have on.. They also give you an additional discount on your first purchase.

4. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

On the plus side, an "Jump starting" EV doesn't need the same dump of current an ICE engine starter does, so even an inexpensive booster pack that can deliver maybe 30-40 amps for a few seconds would be sufficient to wake the car up. I considered getting something myself but my concern has always been it would sit unused for so long that it would be dead and useless by the time I actually needed it.

For multimeters you can also go on the cheap side if you plan to use it only on low voltage stuff. I'd never buy a meter under $20 or so just because you want things like proper input protection/fusing, and hey maybe you'll actually want to use it for other things! Since you also might not be using it very often, I would recommend getting one with a physical on/off switch (*most* do...) or at least something that's easy to take the batteries out of. "Heavy duty" carbon-zinc cells are great for these since they use so little power and last basically forever. That said, if you feel like getting spendy the UT210E can be had for US$50 and does DC clamp-on current measurement, and is very compact.

Please do not use those garbage meters like the ones you can get for free at Harbor Freight. They aren't worth the price even if they're free.

5. Thanks, I will look that up.

6. I will starting looking around. Thanks for the advice.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I bought this at Canadian Tire:
    MotoMaster Booster Pack/Jump Starter & USB Power Bank, Lithium-ion, 600-Amp, 12V
    #011-2062-4 $132.99 regular price, but sales come up often.
    (CT shows 26 and 9 in stock at Saskatoon East and West as I post this).
    https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-booster-pack-jump-starter-usb-power-bank-lithium-ion-600-amp-12v-0112062p.html?loc=plp

I did need to return the first one I bought as it didn't charge, but the second was fine. I keep the kit in its case in the space under the centre console.
    It has saved my butt twice, and once I boosted an ICE car with it. (He went to buy one right after I got him started :)

9. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

You can get a better product at gooloo at around $69 t0 $99 just watch for the sales they have big discounts at times.

10. ansonchappell

ansonchappell New Member

I can vouch for the Gooloo pack as well. I bought the 1500. There's a handy storage nook on the lower right side of the cargo area that fits it perfectly.

11. Don't forget that with the battery dead you can't open the hatch, make sure you can reach it from the back seat or else you'll be crawling into the back to get the battery.
    It's even harder to get at if you store the battery under the tray in the back.
    We keep ours on the floor behind the drivers seat but then there is just the two of us so there is never anyone in the back to kick it around.

12. To remove this ad click here.