New Francis Energy app fail?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brian Beuchaw, Dec 7, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Brian Beuchaw

Brian Beuchaw Member

I had an account with them, used their chargers from OKC to Dallas in Sept, charged at a few different places (I have a MINI, so the range is short) worked fine after I got the app and configured it. They changed and have a new app and new RFID card tied to your account, and it all seems nice, but completely failed for me today. Tried to go to Tulsa from OKC today and all their chargers at the McDonald's at the halfway-ish point failed. Multiple different error messages - vehicle timeout, unexpected error, no charging permission, etc. So I finally found a level 1 charger and waited for 3 hours to get enough charge to get back home and then emailed them. They said there was a problem with my payment processing, which is complete BS - I had just used my card at the McDonald's there without a problem, and I checked my bank and they said there had been no attempts nor declinations. In addition, the charger behavior doesn't support that "solution" - I got a big green check mark and "Payment Authorized" on the charger after I tapped their RFID card and it started to ramp up, then failed and ramped back down and told me to disconnect.

Anybody else having similar problems with Francis and their new app? Absolutely absurd that this is happening - the only thing you should *ever* need to charge an EV is a debit/credit card, no apps, no permissions, nothing else except money.

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. This would be the best approach for all charging networks;)

R P likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

A Tesla owner, all you should need is an electronic read VIN linked to your payment system. There should also be some reasonable cypher key to ensure it is your car.

Bob Wilson

5. Brian Beuchaw

Brian Beuchaw Member

Actually, no - anybody should be able to charge anybody else's car. What if you're recharging it for a friend after you've taken it out for a drive? Swipe your card and charge, that's it, gas pumps don't care whose car it is.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

You've given me an idea ... make the car into a credit card reader with the car embedded in the car.

Bob Wilson

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

That would work if the car's reader could get the details of which charger you're trying to start. Proper EMV
    chip transactions are decently encrypted, so the transit in between doesn't matter so much.

Charging networks need to start thinking like critical infrastructure. These failures and trying to BS
    around it and shift blame are inexcusable. We wouldn't tolerate that from fuel stations, we'd want
    proper recourse on the spot and multiple *working* payment options.

_H*