No AM Radio

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Tommm, Nov 23, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

Maybe purchase an amateur radio, either walkie talkie or mobile. Then in addition to your AM radio, you will also get Weather Alert, and you can speak to your good buddies, I mean, OMs on the ham bands as well.

insightman likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

upload_2022-12-7_12-19-35.png

$77 later:

upload_2022-12-7_12-20-41.png

Sadly, after running the Bimmercode coding, then restarting my SE there was no new entry on my MEDIA/RADIO screen to provide AM tuner access (and all my presets were gone). I used Bimmercode again to verify the "activ" status.

So either more Bimmercode programming is required to create a new MEDIA/RADIO menu entry or the 2021 MINI Cooper SE does not include the secret AM radio tuner found in the BMW i3 and 2022-23 MINI Cooper SE.

I wish I could have persuaded someone with a 2020-21 MINI Cooper SE who already had Bimmercode and an OBDII adapter to try this experiment for me. Oh well, I still have my 3" portable AM/FM earphone radio.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
  4. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

It's RADIO_BAND_MW and not KW.

Godfrey likes this.
  5. insightman

I un-aktiv'd RADIO_BAND_KW and set RADIO_BAND_MW to aktiv, but still didn't get a new menu item for AM radio (or any other detectable changes).

To me, it seemed plausible the K in RADIO_BAND_KW would correspond to kHz (the frequencies used for AM radio) and the MW would correspond to MHz (the frequencies used for FM radio).

EDIT!!!! I didn't realize after activating RADIO_BAND_MW and closing Bimmercode I had to go to Personalize Menu at the bottom of the MEDIA/RADIO menu and check the newly appeared AM Radio check-box.

NOW I HAVE AM RADIO!!!!!

Thanks to all who encouraged me to pursue my dream and to @teslarati97 who helped to achieve it. Now, 27 months in, my SE is perfect!

TCMCQ, MichaelC, SameGuy and 2 others like this.
  6. teslarati97

Strange. I have both KW and MW set to aktiv and it works.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

Perhaps MW activates the AM radio tuner and KW checks the checkbox in the Personalize Menu menu. After setting both, did you have to go to Personalize Menu to display AM Radio as an option on the MEDIA/RADIO menu?

I'm not going to experiment to find out. Now that I have my AM radio by aktivating MW and then checking the AM Radio checkbox in the Personalize Menu menu, I'm a happy camper.

SameGuy and teslarati97 like this.
  9. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Outstanding outcome!

teslarati97 likes this.
  10. Rogwp

Rogwp Active Member Subscriber

Glad it worked out for you and congrats on pursuing it!

teslarati97 and SameGuy like this.
  11. SameGuy

YUL
    And now he has the internal fortitude to use BimmerCode to make his perfect car perfecter!

teslarati97, Qisl and Rogwp like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

I've been reading the Bimmercode threads for a long time, but I haven't read anything other than the AM radio activation that I care to change. Believe it or not, I like the pedestrian warning noise and even the function of the seatbelt warning noise. If my SE's incandescent light bulbs start failing with regularity, I'll use Bimmercode to prevent the error codes that can occur with LED replacements.

teslarati97 and SameGuy like this.
  14. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

It worked? Congratulations! Is the reception good?

15. insightman

For the local stations I listen to, it's working great. When a building I'm passing tries to block the signal, I can hear a touch of RFI, but nothing annoying, such as a strong buzz.

However, I grew up listening to AM radio and part of its essential ambiance is audibly experiencing our electromagnetic environment. I hate listening to baseball games on FM radio because the clarity of the broadcast makes the play-by-play seem artificial to me. If AM radio goes away before all the geezers like me have expired, there may be a market for a digital "AM-sound" filter program.

On my trip today, I listened to an AM radio show in which I had zero interest just because I could.

GvilleGuy, MichaelC, Rogwp and 2 others like this.
  16. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Just like piping artificial engine noises!

revorg likes this.
  17. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

To hell with that.
    I want Jetsons noise!
    I have a few ideas to investigate. The first being to work out how to synthesise a speed sensitive Jetson noise....

18. Puppethead

I've wanted it forever too, here's the best version I could find.

Attached Files:

19. insightman

However, the Doppler effect is a key feature of the Jetson's noise. You'll need a button that you'll push as you approach the targeted listener to start the Doppler-effect sequence at the right time.

20. SameGuy

YUL
    There is a spare toggle; one would need to come up with a suitable label for it. ;)

Maybe…

59486785-CB63-4915-AF22-57452CF2B36C.jpeg

21. Puppethead

The whole point of the Doppler shift is that it happens naturally. The Jetsons noise is an ideal sound for noticing change in relative speed, I think because the oscillating sound amplifies the Doppler shift.

There are two options for a car noise: 1) tempo change to match vehicle speed (observable by occupants), and 2) Doppler shift to indicate position to observers outside of the vehicle.

The audio I posted has vehicle-speed changes (#1), which when I think about EVs doesn't really make sense. The current SE pedestrian warning is a constant tempo (so #2), isn't it? Unfortunately for experimentation the pedestrian warning cuts out at 25 mph (or so) making it hard to recognize impact of Doppler shift.

I think picking the mid-range sound of the Jetsons car is the way to maximize Doppler shift results.

22. teslarati97

Maybe you have to find the loudest tires available. No electronic voodoo magic required and it will be speed adjusted!

I'm also getting a software update at the dealership today. We will see if all the coding will be wiped out.

23. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

There's a nice Doppler shift in the following video, in which a Borla Active Performance Sound for EVs is used:
    https://www.borla.com/products/active-performance-sound-for-electric-vehicles/#landing

Perhaps we should petition Borla to permit customizable sounds to be included...