Tesla MY OR VW AWD Pro S

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by Kenstl, Aug 8, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Kenstl

Kenstl New Member

Finally have decided to make the dive in to the EV world and replace my truck for my commute and work. It has been impossible to find either vehicle to test drive, but I have been able to view, sit in, and review the interior workings. This is mainly a commute, but also used for a family of 4, so the room is attractive on both vehicles. I am a tall person, so any of the smaller vehicles or low to the ground vehicles, are pretty much out.

Anyone driven both or owned both that you could give me some feedback? My initial breakdown looks a little like this: (mostly based on reviews as I have not driven either)

Cost: MY - $68,000 ID4 AWD Pro S $53,000 (approximately $15k difference)
    Rebate: Possibly both, depending on the new law. If I could still get the VW this year, it would
    come with a $7500 tax rebate
    Software and charging: Tesla
    Fun Factor: Tesla probably
    Higher Resale: Tesla probably
    Range: MY 330 vs VW AWD Pro S at 255. From tests I have seen, the MY seems to fall quite
    a bit short of their number, where the VW comes very close to theirs, so there may
    only be a "real" difference of less than 20 miles?
    Road comfort: VW from everything I have seen
    Fit and Finish of Panels: VW probably
    Fit and Finish of Interior: VW probably
    Free Charging: VW for 3 years

Seeing all of the above, it is hard to justify paying 28% more for the MY, but part of feels the MY may provide a more "current" car over the years. I will be driving 25,000 miles a year, so a 3 or 4 year hold trade. Any thoughts from any of you that have experienced both?

PS: I also posted this in the Tesla thread for opinions

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. DaleL

DaleL Active Member

If a car costs $15,000 more to start with, then to be equal at the end of 4 years of ownership, it needs to be worth more than the original $15,000 difference. That is because that $15,000 would either grow if invested or add to the cost borrowed. However, it is not possible to see into the future of either's worth after 4 years. Consider also the cost to insure each vehicle. More expensive cars usually cost more to insure. Any ID.4 which was manufactured anywhere except North America (Chattanooga) will NOT qualify for the $7,500 federal tax credit, unless it was purchased or in a binding contract before the Inflation Reduction Act became law.

I have briefly driven a Model Y. (A brother-in-law bought one last year. My son rented one, which I got to drive.) The Model Y is a good vehicle, but as written, expensive. The rental Y suffered an electronic error which caused the touchscreen to go blank. The car would drive, but with no display, not even a speed display, the car was not really drivable until it was stopped and "rebooted". That written, my brother-in-law loves his Model Y.

I have test driven two dealer ID.4s. Their fit and finish were both excellent. I would estimate that the real world difference in range is more like 30 - 40 miles highway. According to what I have read, VW targets the ID.4 as competing against top end hybrid Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4 hybrid SUVs. As such it drives more like a conventional vehicle.

Another EV to be considered is the Ford Mach-e. It competes more closely with the Tesla. With Ford's price increase for 2023, it is very similar in price to the Model Y. One issue with Ford though, is that the dealer experience can be abysmal.

I have reserved an Aurora Red Metallic with Black roof; Galaxy/Gray with stitching/Black interior; ID.4 AWD Pro S Plus to replace my 2018 Honda Clarity. I don't expect it for about 8 months. In your case, good luck whether it is the Model Y or ID.4.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
    Waa likes this.
  4. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

You neglected my main reason for avoiding the Model y. Its ugly! The ID.4 looks perhaps a bit too conventional but its not ugly to me.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  5. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

This is my feeling as well. The ID.4 is nothing special, just another car. The Model Y stands out but for all the wrong reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

David Towle likes this.
  6. DaleL

DaleL Active Member

Here are some comparison prices including delivery, but before taxes and possible tax credits:
    Tesla Model Y, long range, red paint, 5 passenger = $71,444
    Ford Mach-e, Premium, red paint, eAWD, extended range = $68,070
    Ford Mach-e, Premium, red paint, eAWD, standard range = $59,470
    VW ID.4, Pro S Plus, red paint, AWD, 77/82 kWh battery, Home-link RV mirror = $56,070

Some other comparisons for range (EPA & Edmunds nearest match) and acceleration 0-60 mph:
    Tesla Model Y = 318 miles EPA (Tesla website), 317 miles Edmunds; and 4.8 seconds
    Ford Mach-e extended = 290 miles EPA (Ford website), 304 miles Edmunds; and 4.8 seconds
    Ford Mach-e standard = 224 miles EPA (Ford website), not available Edmunds; and 5.2 seconds
    VW ID.4 = 255 miles EPA (VW website), 272 miles Edmunds; and 5.8 seconds

As the statistics indicate, the Tesla Model Y and the Ford Mach-e eAWD extended range directly compete against each other. Their prices are only a few thousand dollars apart. (However, expect to add about $700 to the Ford price for the dealer fee.) Their expected ranges are close to each other and their acceleration 0-60 is identical.

In contrast, the very top end ID.4 costs $12,000 to $15,000 less than the Ford and Model Y. It has 30 to 45 miles less range and is a full second slower 0-60 mph.

The $7,500 Federal tax credit qualifications have changed because of the Inflation Reduction Act, which was recently signed into law. All three of these vehicles are now assembled in North America. If the batteries are also assembled in North America then they would qualify for a $3,750 Federal tax credit. If at least 40% of the value of the battery is sourced from the USA or a country with a free trade agreement with the USA, then the vehicle would qualify for the other half of the Federal tax credit ($3,750).

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

If you plan on charging away from home frequently the Y is the better choice due to the reliability of the Supercharger network.
    Add in faster charging, better range and efficiency, battery preconditioning for fast charging and excellent energy predictions in the Nav and it’s a no brainer for a smooth, quick and stress free road trip.
    But if you never or rarely charge away from home it’s not worth the extra money unless you want the performance.

electriceddy likes this.
  9. HammerB

HammerB New Member

I had a 22 MY for about a year. I sold it and made a profit. That was because I bought at a much lower price than the current msrp. I now have a 23 pro s awd. The Tesla is 2x the car. It’s a more convenient car to use day to day. The id4 infotainment is pretty bad. The Tesla charges much faster and WAY more fun to drive. As far as fit and finish, the Tesla wasn’t perfect but it wasn’t bad. The id4 has had more issues at delivery than the Tesla. My front carpets stay wet and no one has a fix. I have to say, I miss my model Y. I kinda want it back.

10. Kenstl

Kenstl New Member

Thanks HammerB, always great to hear from someone who has a history with both vehicles. It's getting to decision time for me as deliveries are getting close on each, I am leaning towards the MY for many of the above reasons cited in previous posts although the though of paying approximately $10k less for the ID4 is always tempting

11. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

I have an iD4 1st edition for 1.5 years, also had a Model Y for a couple of months (sold at a profit). If I want to list major pro/con for each car it will be as follows:

iD4 pros:
    - Road comfort, particularly long road trips. Much less fatigue after 8 hour driving
    - Car feels very solid, like a real German car. Well put together
    - Price is very competitive
    - Handling is good for a family car
    iD4 cons:
    - Software is bad, supposedly improved in new models, but I don't expect Tesla level software
    - More hard plastics inside than I expect for the price
    - Powertrain warranty is short compared to Tesla
    - The RWD model is not as fast as it should be, the AWD is probably OK.
    - Electrify America is not investing in network as fast as it should, it could be difficult to charge during busy holidays in near future
    - The range is just a tad short for comfortable long distance road trips, I say another 20-30 miles would have made it a much stronger road trip car.

Model Y pros:
    - More fun to drive, feels more car like compared to iD4 which is more SUV like
    - Better interior materials than iD4, but they are not as well put together
    - Powertrain warranty is generous, gives you confidence the car can go 120k at least without bankrupting you
    - Supercharger network has much more redundancy (with EA sometime your life depends on 3 chargers, and if they are broken of occupied you are in trouble)
    - Better powertrain, efficiency, heat pump, technology

Model Y cons:
    - The cabin/trunk is narrow for the size of the car (plenty of space, but more in length rather than width). This was the most obvious drawback to me.
    - Body/chassis doesn't feel as solid as VW (probably Aluminum vs. steel)
    - The rims are prone to curb rash, too much so for a family car (the tires are stretched)
    - Vampire drain much more noticeable than VW
    - Heat pump is a bit noisy
    - Becoming too common in California

The drag coefficient of Model Y is 0.23, vs 0.28 or so for iD4. So you cannot expect to get similar efficiency in a highspeed road trip. Model Y will be more efficient.

Kenstl, DaleL and electriceddy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.