Delayed Charging

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Tommm, Sep 4, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Well surprise wrinkle, there's a new variable. I was hoping for a full charge starting at 21:00 and then have climatization in the morning, but apparently it's not possible. I moved my charge window back to 21:00-06:59 (departure 07:30) but left climatization enabled for 07:30 and the SE delayed the charging until the end. Tonight I left it at 21:00-06:59 with no climatization and the charging started right at 21:00. So apparently the climatization can affect charging behavior.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Winter tire rubber is really soft. I always wait until daytime highs are in the 40s before putting the snows on. That’s typically right before Thanksgiving here. Of course I spend Thanksgiving in Vermont every year so the snow tires are definitely on by then.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

insightman and SameGuy like this.
  4. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I got the Zwave switch (relay, really) and a 3-foot cut of 8/3 SOOW. The cross section is definitely smaller than the input cable from the 14-50 plug to the Grizzl-E, which is very clearly marked as 8/2-10/2 (I’m guessing the neutral and ground are 10 AWG conductors) STOOW.

1DC9689E-ED5F-48A2-AD5E-5CEF39FAA7DD.jpeg

But a look at the EVSE’s manual for hard-wiring shows it’s a split-phase connection, with no neutral on the line side. I bought 8/3 based on that diagram and instructions (chapter 5 in the manual). I’ll open it up tomorrow.

748CEC62-D017-4036-B48F-B93A6B7F77CD.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  5. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

I’m sure you are a master electrician the way you describe what you doing and hopefully you not going to be zap with this configuration .10 AWG wiring is on my L 1 factory charger as my lamp on my table.

6. IMG_8352.JPG

Am I doing something wrong here? Why did it start so early and finish 40 mins before my departure?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Torrey

Torrey Active Member

It will always start early enough to get a full 100% charge. So it started at 7 AM to be able to finish by 10:30 AM (which you put in for the end of the charting time slot.) If you want to have it finish just before departure then the departure time needs to fall within the charging time slot.

You can't use the charging time slot to try to get it to only charge to say 80%.

insightman and SameGuy like this.
  9. I understand. What I meant was that I set it to 29 mins before departure (as per @Puppethead's experience) hoping it would finish closer to the departure time of 11:00 as I would prefer it not to be kept plugged in at 100% for too long.

I've had it get to 100% much closer to my departure time in the past so I'm not sure if I set the times incorrectly here. 40 mins is too from the set time imo.

10. Puppethead

I'm not sure what the issue is, your charge window ends at 10:31 and the car finished charging at 10:20. That seems pretty close to spot-on to me. The SE is not going to charge past the charge window regardless of the departure time if it can help it. The departure time is primarily for climatization, not charging. If you want to finish charging close to 11:00, try setting your charge window to end at that time.

11. Torrey

Torrey Active Member

Puppethead’s findings are if it will start charging at the start of the charging window or wait and start such that it finishes at the end of the charging window. But in his tests he always gave plenty of time in the charge window for the car to get to 100%. Your charge window was far too short.

If you want to have the car finish charging near a specific time set that as your departure time and give it a charging window that starts well before that time and end with at the departure time or later.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. My car no longer does this. In fact I can't even select the charging mode any more. It jumps back to "Charge immediately" by itself.

I took a video of what it does when I select the slot. This happen to anyone?

14. SameGuy

YUL
    Your slot is an hour and a half and the car knows it can't charge a depleted battery in that slot.

15. SameGuy

YUL
    I switched to delayed/timeslot charging earlier this month with a work schedule change, the first time I've tried using timeslot charging. I will be switching back to "charge immediately," because it is utterly unreliable. Two of the five charges so far never started during the scheduled slot, and I hopped into my car only to find that the battery was still in the low 20s with 20 miles of commuting ahead of me, with a pop-up telling me there was a problem and that I should call for service; the other three times it charged to 99% and stopped charging, with a similar pop-up saying there was an problem and that I should call for service.

16. It's supposed to behave as described by @Puppethead where you need to set the end time to 29 mins before departure.

It's worked fine all the way until 2 weeks ago. I've chosen a much longer charging window and the same happens.
    The car decided it only wants to charge immediately. Previously when I press the window, it would select it immediately, but now there there is a delay when it is being selected, and pops back to 'charge immediately' within a couple of seconds. The behaviour is shown in this video:

17. Puppethead

That's interesting. I'd suggest changing your time slot to start at 12:01 am and see if that helps, it might be a boundary condition you're running into with 12:00 am.

18. SameGuy

YUL
    I'm still getting the "couldn't charge" error, but it got to 100% this morning. Otherwise, this time it worked.

19. Gave that a try too but didn't work. Gonna bring it in to the dealership to see if they can figure it out.
    They definitely won't know about the 30 min cut off time but I just need it to charge during the set time slot at this point.

20. Try setting the values with the MINI app and see if they stick.

21. SameGuy

YUL
    I honestly didn't even know you could set them in the car! I think once they're set in the app they become unselectable in the car.

22. The app does not allow me to select it either. It keeps showing up as an error after trying to send the info to the car.