2020+ (classic) Ioniq: Low-conductivity coolant crystallizing + low-coolant level warning ...

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by KiwiME, Nov 16, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. There is a bit of a s-storm brewing at IoniqForum.com regarding an issue with the low-conductivity coolant on the above-mentioned models. For some reason it's "creating crystals", blocking circulation and triggering the low-coolant level warning.

No indication yet on if this affects the blue-coolant Kona or all Ioniq 5 models but it's worth a read for those who have the time.

Personally I was mostly interested in how the low-coolant warning is triggered since it's come up quite a few times on this forum and I was flummoxed as to how it worked since there is no dedicated sensor.

https://www.ioniqforum.com/threads/coolant-warning.38495/

navguy12 and electriceddy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. This one post seems to have the cause, but not so good for finding a remedy. I wonder if the on board sensors would p/u on the fact if the regular green coolant were installed instead. Although that would not fix the problem of existing crystals deposited throughout the system. This is too big an issue to be swept under the rug- lots of post 2020 Kona EVS out there, and the same coolant also used in a portion of E-GMP cooling system for the battery as I understand.

4. They may be flushing the system with water which would be difficult to remove completely before installing the low-conductivity coolant.
    I would find it hard to believe that this later version of the classic Ioniq with a liquid cooled battery is any different an application than the Kona, Niro, Ioniq 5, EV6, etc.
    I would also expect that reverting back to conventional green would be entirely possible without making any other changes.

navguy12 likes this.
  5. Meh, Green juice is so yesterday :) I think Hyundai's present "conventional" coolant of choice is Pink ethylene glycol based with HOAT( Hybrid Organic Acid Technology).

navguy12 likes this.
  6. Which is what they installed in mine last week. Now its pink with a hint of green.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. So, today a Germany-based Ioniq 38kWh owner with this issue reported that the dealer flushed the low-conductivity blue coolant out of the system and installed "pink" coolant which is certainly the same stuff as the conventional fill for all Hyundai ICE. It sounds like they've given up trying to fix it, at least for the time being.

I'm sure we'll hear more about it in the next few weeks as there are quite a few Ioniq owners in the same boat.

navguy12 likes this.
  9. Ginginova

Ginginova Active Member

I hope that they switch from paranoid blue coolant to conventional one as soon as possible.
    They were resolving one theoretical problem with blue one, but then getting multiple new problems instead.

10. I am with you on this one.
    [​IMG]
    Picture thanks to @mik_ua

navguy12 likes this.
  11. One related note from a recent Munro Associates video about the underside of the new Kia Niro EV. Kia appears to have incorporated the cooling panel on the outside of the battery pack instead of inside as in the current Kona. It may be that they have determined that the risk of avoiding a coolant spill inside the pack is more important than protecting the cooling panel from road damage. By all accounts that I've seen Kia deviate from Hyundai by not using LC coolant in either the Niro or the EV6.
    upload_2023-1-12_8-7-44.png

navguy12 likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. We now have a factory-issued TSB for this issue, posted thanks to an alert Ioniq owner on ioniqforum.com. Note the applicability range indicates it was caught during production 12 Oct 2021 so many later examples should be OK. Full TSB in the PDF.

upload_2023-6-14_8-20-7.png

Attached Files:

arhnold, Lars and electriceddy like this.
  14. navguy12

navguy12 Well-Known Member

This looks complicated; great potential for a foul up at the maintainer level.

electriceddy likes this.
  15. I guess I will stop by the dealer and have yet another discussion in the next couple of days.
    Thanks for the info, at least I will be equipped with some paperwork FWIW.

navguy12 and KiwiME like this.
  16. Yes it may just do that. Its hard to tell if mine even qualifies as it has the heat pump (section A, not section B w/o HP) - maybe just a flush and filter leaving the existing BCS-1 to change later to BCS-2 at my cost when scheduled service requirements are due - not withstanding 20D140R6 specifically says "Debris Discharge and Coolant Change":confused:

navguy12 likes this.
  17. My April 2021 Kona (blue coolant) is due for an annual service. I've had no coolant issues or warnings.
    My dealer told me at booking time they need the car all day to do this TSB which, going by the contents, is probably justified.

18. Does your Kona EV have a heat pump?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
    navguy12 likes this.
  19. No. I wish it did. Though that would probably increase the time need to do the TSB.

20. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Curious, Kiwi, where are you pulling TSBs from and/or knowing that they're being issued? Did you keep
    an active techinfo subscription?

My 2021 almost definitely qualifies, so now I have to see if I can find a dealer that's anything like competent.
    Dreading that, of course. I wonder if "Jeju" et al have PIDs for water pump RPM? I didn't find anything
    in my old doc...

_H*

21. Good news...stopped by the dealer and was told my Canadian Ultimate Kona EV manufactured Sept 2020 is included in the TSB (although a Cdn version of it- different # which I didn't ask for) so my BSC-1 coolant will be replaced with the BSC-2 type...all in warranty-N/C:)
    Bad news (sort of) the BSC-2 coolant is in low supply so priority is with the Kona EVs with the "Refill Inverter Coolant" warning until supplies are shall we say - more fluid.
    Not really bad news for me as I was told to bring it in Oct when my year 3 maintenance is due, by then the supply issue should be worked out.
    This also gives the techs a little practice at the procedure as I would prefer not to be the first.
    I discussed also the wording in the TSB @KiwiME above supplied and they agreed it is probably geared to non heat pump related vehicles as these were not equipped in the USA (and other markets) within the applicable vehicle's timeslot of 05/07/19 to Oct/12/2021.
    Thanks again for the TSB referral;)

navguy12 likes this.
  22. navguy12

navguy12 Well-Known Member

Am I interpreting this correctly?

My wife’s Kona is due for it three year R&R of the blue coolant in August.

Hyundai will actually do the fluid swap to BSC-2 under “warranty” when the car is brought in for the process?

electriceddy likes this.
  23. It's not entirely clear who wrote the TSB but it may be that it was Hyundai Motor America rather than Hyundai SK. The fact that it's not indicated anywhere and the US date format both seem to support that theory.

22kona and navguy12 like this.