70-85 mph whistle?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by polyphonic, Nov 11, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Anyone experience this? I was driving at those speeds yesterday and had an intrusive whistle for the entire trip (~30 miles). Intake louvres are in good shape.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Was the whistle specific to a side of the MINI? Do you have any roof rails or crossbars?

4. polyphonic

Seemed to be more from the driver's side side. Yep, I have the factory roof rails.

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

If the whistle is intrusive, then you would have noticed it before if the roof rails were to blame. Did you hear the whistle on both legs of your round-trip? Perhaps the wind was at a specific angle that caused some driver-side part of your SE to resonate at a high pitch.

polyphonic likes this.
  6. This probably won't help but.. I know when I drive my old Subaru SVX with the power antenna up the noise is just like a whistle on a windy day.. could be the tiny thin antenna on top. I think they sell those this round antenna's (if it's cheap..I dunno or take it off temporarily if it comes off easy and see if that eliminates it. *shrugs* something to try)

polyphonic and SameGuy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

I’m have a shortie antenna and no roof rails.
    No whistle to speak of but I have old ears…

9. polyphonic

The whistle is no more. One day occurrence. Not a clue what caused it!

10. Iamspeed

Iamspeed New Member

62 or 69mph is the draconian speed limit where I live so I can't help you dude.
    Maybe your window rubber was slightly pinched so the window wasn't quite seated right.
    I had a subaru with flameless doors and it was super wistley at 60mph.

11. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

My r53 has a broken driver side door window motor. When it starts whistling, I know it's time to manually raise it back up...

Matt007b likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.